Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Deep Fried Three Musketeers Bars (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Deep Fried Three Musketeers Bars
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something I discovered at work one day when it was quite dead. A Subway Southwest chicken sub is really good with salsa. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
salt and vinegar has been here forever. hell, american's were probably the first to make the salt and vinegar flavor for CHIPS, dammit, CHIPS!

--jacob

IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, because America invents everything first. Including language. We all just copied and bastardised yours.

You do seem to be getting quite worked up over this. Try and relax. Listen, other people call things by different names in different countries. Yes, they do. In this case, you'll find that what you call chips, the British call "crisps". And the Candians. And the Australians. And all English-speaking languages apart from yours.

I wouldn't leave your house if I were you Jacob. Other people saying things in different voices might make your head explode.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

you do realize that i'm joking, rightPsyLiam? i hope that i won't have to resort to emoticons , or have a big capital letter title reading WARNING HUMOR AHEAD WARNING [Razz]

--jacob

p.s. no, we americans didn't event everything first, but i want to know where the hell brits got the u in "humour" since the original latin is "humor" (among lots of other words that the british add useless letters to. maybe that webster guy was right about the english language needing simplification, i mean symplifikashun). brits, always trying to make it hard on everybody. oh, whoops, i forgot the WARNING HUMOR AHEAD WARNING , sorry 'bout that.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"...i want to know where the hell brits got the u in 'humour'..."

From the French.

Now, if I might ask a similar question, where did you get your keyboard, and why don't the Shift keys seem to function properly?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about this, and it turns out I really like barbecue sauce on french fries.
The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus, this thread is giving me cravings I haven't had in a while. I just realised how long it's been since I had vinegar on chips (French Fries), and it is IMO far and away the best way to have chips. How I yearn for the days back in McDonagh's Fish Shop (Galway, Ireland). I'd murder a plate of cod and chips right now. [Frown]

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd murder a plate of cod and chips right now.

You MONSTER!

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

i use the shift key sparingly on the internet. it keeps the thought police away (if you must know, my keyboard is a 1989 switch type keyboard made by lexmark and it is very very very good and i got it off e-bay).

--jacob

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny, in many places in our language we swedish are more faithful to the french/latin heritage than english languages. Has much to do with a couple of our kings that were very close to the french royalties, I think.

For instance, the common name for chips/fries in Sweden is Pommes Frites, or Pommes Strips. Potato wedges we either call the exact translation (potatis-klyftor) or Pommes Chateau. How they are associated with french castles I don't know. :-)

Why americanos don't like ketchup on hot dogs (Dirty Harry III) or fries I don't get, it's right THERE!!
You put it on your burgers, your turnips and your pasta for crying out fuck.

In swedish MacDonaldses or Burger Kingsas there's always a ketchup siphon with cute little paper cups (like those used to serve anaesthetics in popular asylums) on the serving-table that carries napkins, straws salt and pepper.

I also long for a cod, come to think of it. The last proper one I got was in Brighton in December 2000. And the vinegar is indeed indispensable in that particular dish.

But british sausages are weird sometimes...
I believe the worst, sickly pale-white look comes from your using pork instead of beef in your sausages, right? In Sweden most sausages are made from beef, resulting in more firm and juicy things.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

. What the hell is catsup anyway? It it like a dodgy imitation of Ketchup?

Catsup is made with american cats, where the cats for Katsup are imported from Russia.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Catsup" is just an etymologically questionable spelling of "ketchup". Same stuff.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

most americans i know like ketchup on hot dogs and french fries, and i don't know anyone here who puts ketchup on turnips or pasta (actually, turnips aren't a real big food here, and are you sure you aren't confusing ketchup with tomato sauce? i mean, i have never heard of anyone putting ketchup on pasta *yuck*). i wouldn't use dirty harry III as a cultural guide. actually, i wouldn't use ANY movie as a cultural guide, at least not anything from hollywood. mcdonalds here (in america) have ketchup dispensers with little paper cups in the center of the restaurant. you swedes are not unique in that regard. in fact, most fast food restaurants here have a ketchup dispenser on the serving table.

--jacob

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"KETCHup...CATSup. KETCHup...CATSup. KETCHup...CATSup." --C. Montgomery Burns

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Liam, I have the unfortunate task of pointing out to you that Canada has long since fallen to the American conspiracy stating that a chip = flattish thing served at room temperature from a bag and fry = longer more obviously potato-containing strip fried (but not always) in oil and served hot.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps