Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Don't mean to waffle, but this takes the biscuit!

Author Topic: Don't mean to waffle, but this takes the biscuit!
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this pretty humorous, British slang.

http://www.effingpot.com/slang.html

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my. Dull means boring in Britain? It is a strange and eccentric culture they have!
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a brutal attempt at a useful web page.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what do the British call gay people?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poofs.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... Apparently, this person doesn't realize that a lot of those words mean exactly the same things here as they do there. "Dodgy", "fluke", "gander", "get lost", "grub", "haggle", "healthy" (where the hell did they hear "healthful"?), "hunky-dory", "knockers", "knuckle sandwich", "nice one", "one off", "peanuts", "piece of cake", "plastered", "puke", "put a sock in it", "row", "rubbish", "shitfaced", "yakking". All mean here exactly what they written on that site, and all but one or two are quite common. But, then again, their information apparently comes from talking to a few Texans, so who knows what sort of weird stuff they've been exposed to...?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still working my way through, haven't noticed anything majorly incorrect yet. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Bang" is also used overhere in exactly the same way.

What did this guy do while in the States, never go out?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The purpose of the glossary is to show British slang as it differs from textbook spoken British English, as i understand it.

That includes defining terms that might be duplicated in the slang of other forms of English too. At the top it doesnt say it 'only slang thats different from American English slang' it just says slang.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, if the guy just wanted to say that the British use slang ...

... why didn't he just say that the British use slang?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, given that he points out the differences between British and American Englishes in just about every entry, I think it's safe to say that that was the purpoe of the endeavor.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, we speak differently. Aren't we mental?

"Any road - Up north (where they talk funny!!) instead of saying anyway, they say "any road"! Weird huh? "

Lee has been further up north than I have, but I have to admit that I've never heard anyone using this term, ever.

"Arse - This is a word that doesn't seem to exist in America. It basically means the same as ass, but is much ruder."

No it isn't. The fact that it was said by 11 year olds in Harry Potter is surely enough proof.

"Bespoke - We say something is bespoke if it has been created especially for someone, in the same way that you say custom."

Also in the same way that I say custom, apparently.

"Biggie - This is unusual. A biggie is what a child calls his poo!"

What?

And at that point I completely lost interest. Sorry.

Michael_T: "So what do the British call gay people? "

As Lee pointed out, poofs. And queers. And, most surprisingly, gays.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps