Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Anyone need a freelance graphic designer?

Author Topic: Anyone need a freelance graphic designer?
Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, yes it's Jubee, back from the dead, or Wal-mart, or hell, or wherever it is I went. I'm all finished with college and have come to the realization, surprise surprise, that no one wants to hire me.

Hmph.

I have a bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, that I worked and slaved 4 friggen years for, and not even Wal-Mart wants to hire me as a greeter.

You know, I might not feel so pathetic about it, if I had no skills. But I have SKILLS, Damnitt!

Anyway, I've joined the unemployed masses. Which means, since I have so much spare time, I'll probably lurk here more often.

But on to my real question: Anyone want to hire a freelancer to do some work for them? I design some pretty kick-ass sites, and I'm real cheap. I'm almost a graphics Whore, honestly. Just let me pay my bills. [Smile]

[edited because I may have skills but they sure as hell aren't in the spelling and grammar department. ]

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: Jubilicious ]

--------------------
'Your spirit will always be the light that guides me... that guides me forever...' - Whispers

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll pay you $40 to clean my apartment ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the club Jubes. While I am employed, well..... I need another job.....

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but I'd kill to have a little help designing this CD booklet. Once I get the needed material, that is.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I get Majinc back on it's feet I'll pass what I can your way, I usually do my own, but being colorblind really puts a damper on things.... No, not 100% colorblind, reds & greens tend to blur together, any kind of shading screws me up......

Which is why my graphics tend to be on the boring side......

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'd like to say, welcome to the club of the unappreciated, but it's really not all that fun in here, so I won't [Smile]

As a struggling graphic designer/illustration type myself, I appreciate where you're coming from. To be honest, I didn't get any real breaks until about a year or so out of school. And even now, 3 years later, I still have to hold a barely-interesting day job just to support the freelancing stuff.

Sermon time: Make up some mailers, get a mailing list together, and start sending crap out. I've got a couple good sources for relativly inexpensive mailers if you want.

Freelance is definitely the hardest route to take, and full-time is more secure (comes with insurance benefits too). But doing some freelance work will get you a nice professional portfolio to show.

In the meantime...learn every bloody thing you can. New programs, printing process, everything. Trust me, it'll help.

End of sermon. Now, where did you go to school and what kind of area are you living in right now?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmmmm, shouldn't y'all design your own???? Graphically specking of course.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of job hunting have you done Jubes? Did your university have corporate days etc that introduced companies to students?
Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Dani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never underestimate the power of a portfolio, Jubes. Make one, make it big, hell design a website to put your portfolio online with little thumbnails going to the bits and peices. Something to do during the downtime too. I ended up getting my job at Sage as their main graphics artist based solely on my portfolio, I had no actual training and no diploma to show them, but my portfolio blew the rest of my competition out of the way, all except for one guy who was as good but wanted too much money. [Razz]
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're already in the process of that one, Dani - http://etherealplains.net/

[Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps