Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Pentium3 - 9/2000 - 4/2002 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Pentium3 - 9/2000 - 4/2002
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's gone.

Two years of Photoshop files, web designs, UP3 work, music, programs, ICQ logs, games... all... gone.

Hard drive failures fucking suck.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:-(

I remember how bummed i was when i lost LCARS mk1..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah, thats...not...good... [Frown]

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I've had this computer (my second, first PC) since 5/2000. Hah. Longer then I thought it was ... hopefully, the hard-drive won't fry (or at least, no time soon).

Sorry for your loss, Charles. But from what you described, I imagined your "computer room" as resembling something from "Hackers" with ten or twelve CPUs and a hundred monitors ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, come on, Backups.

[Cool]

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last backup was a year ago... I was actually using that system to back *THIS* one up, as I assumed this one would keel over first. [Smile]

Luckily what was lost can be replaced, and this is giving me the chance to start over cleanly. (Had some nasty driver conflict issues and odd crashes)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about the loss, Charles.

But, as you can see, even in death there is hope. [Smile]

Yer Pal,
Sieg "I've been watching too many sentimental movies" fried

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically, its just the hard drive thats gone right?
Nothing physically wrong with the rest of the computer?

Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

Nope, it's "just" the drive... but really, isn't it the contents of the drive that make up the computer?

Think about it. Each and every computer has its own little personality, its own quirks. The icons in the tray, your shortcut bar, if any, the items in the start menu, your desktop.. the things you do every day define the computer and how you work with it... or in some cases, how it prevents you from working.

The loveable kludge of a machine known as pentium3 is now dead - the hard drive turned into strawberry jam.

The "new" machine, while it shares the same hardware, is totally different... and seems to be behaving itself. For the most part.

Oh... the new machine's name? flyinghell.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eighteen months is still pretty crummy in terms of HD lifetime. . . What make was the drive?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

'Tis an IBM deskstar DTLA-307045
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had a similar thing happen to me, I think I got some kind of virus or something when my daughter downloaded KAZAA. I started to have funny things happen to my comp. Then I couldn't even get it to run though Scandisk. Finally I found that my FAT table was partially gone or corrupted, doesn't matter which. I tried to format my HD and it wouldn't even do that, so I used the partion programme in the startup disk to partion my drive then it let me format these drive individually. Running defrag later I found a lot of bad sectors on my drive that were not there before. Was it KAZAA, I'm not sure I was guessing but I am still having strange errors happening to me, real pain in the ass.
Has anyone upgraded to XP and has it solved any stupid problems?

[ April 05, 2002, 17:24: Message edited by: Grokca ]

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, at least you're not me. Dropped my P4 down the stairs yesterday. Broke the motherboard, and a GeForce3. WEhooo!

"'Tis an IBM deskstar"

The RPM can go 7200 from Earth to Klingon. You are all a bunch of gays and lesbians. This is my last data failure..

No, this is my last data failure.

[ April 05, 2002, 17:48: Message edited by: U//Magnus ]

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U/M you neede one of these
http://www.dansdata.com/xbags.htm

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that would have helped. Two Days ago.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps