Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Assistance in the matters of the web

Author Topic: Assistance in the matters of the web
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it looks like Host.sk was too good to be true. They've disabled file linking and now FTP doesn't work. I've decided that maybe it's time to start paying for a host. But, I need some help. Can anyone suggest a good host with good rates? And payment options. I don't have a credit card, so I can't pay that way.

Also, I'm going to need a domain name. I have no idea what kind of domain name to get, as I don't really have a site that's really worthy of a domain. I have a tendancy to make a page and then neglect it for a while. Maybe if I'm actually paying for something I'll update it more [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The Defiant
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't pay for a half-decent job. Just have them to type the URL. It's a small price...
IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An admirable non sequitor.

Uh, depends on what you're going to put on the site, Mr. Topher.

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How's lobotomy.pleh.net/~topher sound? [Wink] I can do domains as well.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"tophersplehlobotomy.net?"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I guess I can sound somewhat intelligent in here! I started a thread sometime around February in here on the same thing, Topher. In looking around and asking questions, I found that Vortech Hosting best fit my needs (which is, basically, a small personal website that doesn't get a whole lot of traffic).

Try visiting HostSpot.Com. It's a directory of webhosting providers, and that's where I found mine.

So far, I've got no complaints. I have an easy time logging in to update my site, and tech support has been fairly prompt in responding to my questions. I don't think my site has been down yet. And, you are right, since I'm paying for this I am updating on a regular basis. [Smile]

As far as domains go, I registered mine through Vortech. It was only $15.00 US to do so, and I made a point of asking whether or not I would show up as the administrative contact. They told me I own the name and, should I leave them, the name comes with me. Some webhosters will register themselves as the owners of the name. That's a good thing to check on.

Other things to check on include bandwidth and data limits. Remember, there's no such thing as unlimited bandwidth or unlimited space. Make sure to check out the penalties for exceeding these limits. Check for the availablity of tech support and how much downtime they have. Other thing to look for (since I know you like to experiment) are adding your own CGI stuff, htaccess permissions, PHP and SQL readiness, and Front Page extensions.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps