Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Countdown to April 9, 1999 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Countdown to April 9, 1999
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we base the calender on the birth of Jesus (which we really shouldn't do, anyway), New Year's and Christmas would be the same day (since it wouldn't make much sense to base a calender on someone's birth, but not have the year start on that person's birthday). Now, supposedly, when Jesus was born, there were shepherds out herding their sheep. I read somewhere that December is in the rainy season in Israel, meaning that shepherds probably wouldn't have their sheep out in the fields, meaning Jesus probably wasn't born at that time of year. So, if we move Christmas to the correct time of the year, and put New Year's on Christmas... See?

Anyway, it would make the most sense to put New Year's on one of the equinoxes or solstices, since those are natural phenomenon. How'd it get stuck where it, anyway?

------------------
"I'll bite your legs off!"
-Terry Gilliam, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If any of you think that the fact that the millenium doesn't start in the year 2000 is a reason not to make whoopie, you have your priorities all wrong.

Any reason to party horizontally, vertically, or in an accelerating arc descending from the vertical to (or through) the horizontal is just fine by me.

Not the millenium? HOO-Hah! Let's party!

The millenium? Hee-WACK! Let's party s'more!

Elvis isn't dead.
He just had to go home.

------------------
ADVISORY:
There is an Extremely Small but Nonzero Chance That, Through a Process Known as "Tunneling," This Product May Spontaneously Disappear from Its Present Location and Reappear at Any Random Place in the Universe, Including Your Neighbor's Domicile. The Manufacturer Will Not Be Responsible for Any Damages or Inconvenience That May Result.

[This message was edited by Baloo on March 31, 1999.]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, screw it. Let's just start renumbering with the year of the Apollo 11 landing on the moon. (Which would make this the Year 30).

Start the year at the Solstice, end it at the Solstice.

Celebrate Christmas in.. last I heard, the general scholarly consensus was March..

Make the date of the first airing of TOS a National Holiday.

That should do it.

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First For Dictator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Parallax

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Christmas isn't on New Year's now...

And how'd you get that the calander was based on Jesus anyway? The year numbering system is, but not the rest of the calender.

You can't have Christmas in March. It snows much more often here in March than in December. The whole point of Christmas is to get really excited about the weather getting colder, and then get bitterly crushed again when it fails to snow.

Besides, if Christmas was in March, Jesus would die only a couple of weeks later.

I mean, bad enough to have your birthday on Christmas anyway, give the guy a break.

------------------
'It's okay to only know three chords but God, put them in the right order'
-Hank Hill

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not saying people can't celebrate the year 2000. They just should know that they'll still have a year of the second millennium left to go...

And where's the sense in basing the year numbers on a certain event, but not when the year begins and ends? That's like saying "Let's base our calender system on the birth of the graet and powerful Tim Nix, but let's make the year start somewhere else. Find a guy on the street and ask him to pick a random day, and that'll be New Year's..."

------------------
"About as useful as a narcoleptic rickshaw driver."
-James Lileks

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This debate has about as much value to it as the one about the great mystery of the Klingon forhead. *Chimaera grabs nearest megaphone* GET OVER IT! WHO CARES? Not me. I'm not going to delay my celebration a whole year just because some monk in the middle ages didn't understand the concept of zero. As people have already mentioned, the date system is completely arbitrary (and has been changed several times since the birth of Christ anyway), and is off by several years. This is something that only the bean counters and bored history buffs would be interested in. As far as I'm concerned, the new millennium starts at 2000, and if its technically wrong by one year, well that's an error of only 0.05%, I can live with that

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, if we include a year 0, perhaps each month should start w/ day 0. The year would start on January 0. Is that how it should work?

------------------
-James Lileks

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something tells me a certain TSN isn't going to any parties this December 31st...

And neither am I! Damned lack of a social life!

*pouts*

------------------
"The record of my unspeakable crimes, in previous lives, in previous times, indelibly stains the pages of history."
--
They Might Be Giants

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Yes, well... Even if I ever did go to parties, I wouldn't go to any party the celebrates the third millennium at the beginning of the last year of the second. But, since I never go to any parties, I guess the question is somewhat moot, eh? :-)

------------------
-James Lileks

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recommends the follwing global celebrations:

Jan 1: New year's Day
Feb 5: Montgomery Day (Birthday)
March 21: TFI Spring day
April 1: Great Maker Day
July 31: Sunbathing day
August 21: Hallucinogenics Day
September 8-15: World Trek week
December 31: Alcohol day

------------------
"I'm sorry I'm late....
I've been irrigating the desert...
Which isn't easy on your own."
- M&W

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know, I can't tell if those lack of party to go to comments are light-hearted comments, or actually bitter and twisted jokes.

Still, come over here Sol. With an American accent in the middle of Trafalgar Square, you'll be as popular as a turd in a swimming pool.

Joking.

Or am I?

do do do do (Twilgiht zone music plays, for reasons no-one quite understands)

------------------
-Hank Hill

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Actually, my comment was a lighthearted twisted joke-comment. And remind me to steer clear of Trafalgar Square... :-)

------------------
-James Lileks

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

To be honest, I'm plainning to spend new years knocking on all the British guys houses here, taking a photo, and saying 'foxy Monty wanted to see you one last time before the world ended'

Except Monty's house obviously. I've got something much more fun planned for him. He he he.

------------------
-Hank Hill

Antagonist
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

OH MY GOD!!!!

The shock of it all has just hit me!!!
This is 1999!! In 8 weeks DS9 will be gone, in 9 months it'll be 2000! GEEZ!
Worse yet, in two years 9 months I'll have graduated!!!!!!

Where the freaking hell have I been?

------------------
"Truth is cheap, information costs."

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.