Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » DEATH TO NETSCAPE! or Is IE5 Worth it? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: DEATH TO NETSCAPE! or Is IE5 Worth it?
Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IE5 has recently been posted for downloading ....i've gotten mixed reviews however, was wondering what everyone who HAD downloaded it thought about it and if I should bother with it.

------------------
If Galileo had lied to save his life, would America, or the West, or Space have been discovered?

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's nice and everything, but I prefer Netscape
But I'm weird, so I use them both. IE5 is visually much better than previous versions and Netscape, but it still crashes on my computer a
lot

But I guess it's worth getting

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DEATH TO INTERNET EXPLORER! DIE INTERNET EXPLORER DIE!

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Rodimus Prime: "Don't panic. Stay calm until we know what's going on. Then we'll panic."

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had IE5 running on my computer for over a week now, and it hasn't crashed yet. I think it depends on your operating system, I run Windows 95 without a problem, but my roomate has Windows 98 and says IE5 crashes occassionally. I personally prefer the layout/setup of IE5 over netscape, and IE5 runs faster than previous versions.

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

IP: Logged
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*grumbles 'cause over 60% of accesses here are from IE*

------------------
"Okay, so I'm not "SANE" so to speak, but uh... I'm the lovable kind of psycho"
http://solareclipse.net/

LB4747
Ex-Member

I've found IE5 to be faster loading pages than either Communicator 4.5 or IE4. I've also had none of the lockups that I suffered under IE4 (for the record, I'm running Win95. I don't know what problems or differences there may be with Win98 computers).

I'd say, if you're already using IE4, then you should definitely upgrade as soon as possible to IE5. If your using Netscape, you might want to consider waiting for the next Netscape version (whenever that may come out).

------------------
Lawrence Boucher
- "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."
- "For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain."

StationMaster
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for StationMaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

IE 5 is a pile of poo.

Simple, Plain and ruthless.

I hate it - I hate Micro$oft.

They walk in and let people get away with anything in HTML.
They think that they can pollute HTML to such a point where it becomes Micro$oft HTML.
They give me headache after headache while designing websites (and I produce on average 12-16 each week)
They make all of these "silly" differences between the way things initiate in Netscape and Miscrosoft Browsers.

I mean ask yourself. Take Melissa for example.
In IE it has all of this "CAN YOU TRUST THIS DOCUMENT OR THE JAVA THINGIMY WHATIZ?" crap in it with differing levels of protection (micro$ofts version of safe sex)
and then they let Outlook (that shoddly little snuff box of an e-mail package) accept and open very nasty virii when ever it feels like it.

My advice is if you want a good browser that does crash from time to time - Use Netscape.
If you want to use something else other than netscape - use Opera.

DONT use Bill "I nearly own the world....HA HA HA!" Gates "products" as they stink and make life much harder than it really should be.

------------------
---- AAARRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!----

I feel better now.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Goffy's last statement. Everyone should get rid of Windows and use Linux or the Mac OS.

------------------
Destruction Drone: "Throw down your weapons and I will spare your miserable lives!"
Rollbar: "That's the best offer we've had all day..."

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, when I learn how to use Linux, maybe I'll switch...

But as for Macs... if you buy an Apple, you'll find out what you got is a lemon.

------------------
"Bickering is pointless." - Spock, Miri
"I'm real easy to get along with most of the time, but I don't like bullies, and I don't like threats." - Janeway, State of Flux

Chimaera
Ex-Member

I find Linux a little intriguing (and I've heard a lot of good things about it), but I have neither the time nor the patience to fiddle with a system like that in order to get it working just the way I want it to. I'm one of those "plug and play" people who doesn't want to spend his time fiddling with things I really don't understand completely anyway. This is why I use windows, because the only settings I have to fiddle with are the desktop image and sounds. That was the original reason I switched from Netscape to IE4, because I was fed up with having to go out hunting for plugins for Netscape, when IE had them all already installed.

Not to mention Windows reminded me of the time change this morning

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

See, Chimaera, you're the ideal Mac user.

(My computer didn't need to remind me...it changed the time automatically! )

------------------
Destruction Drone: "Throw down your weapons and I will spare your miserable lives!"

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linux is annoying...I've had it for a month and my mouse still wont work

At least my distribution came with Netscape
There's even a nifty button on the desktop for it

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*would like to go on the record as saying that*

I HATE MACS!

*ahem* *and that's pretty bad, coming from a graphic techniques major*

------------------
If Galileo had lied to save his life, would America, or the West, or Space have been discovered?
And if Columbus had never set sail, would the Earth still be flat?

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, I hate Windows, so we're even.

------------------

LB4747
Ex-Member

In my experience, Macs are waaaay overrated. I once owned a PowerBook and it was nothing but a piece of crap. It crashed on a regular basis and the OS was anything but easy to use. It didn't even last a year -- the thing literally fell apart beyond use. A testament to poor design and shoddy craftsmanship. The biggest waste of money in my life. Yes, I'm bitter.

------------------
Lawrence Boucher
- "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."
- "For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain."

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps