Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » DEATH TO NETSCAPE! or Is IE5 Worth it? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: DEATH TO NETSCAPE! or Is IE5 Worth it?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, there's only one way to sort this out.

Frank, you go in one corner...

Anyone wanna champion Windows in the other corner? Anyone?

Anyone?

------------------
'It's okay to only know three chords but God, put them in the right order'
-Hank Hill

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LB: Was it a 5300-series one?

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Destruction Drone: "Throw down your weapons and I will spare your miserable lives!"
Rollbar: "That's the best offer we've had all day..."

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babe, you know I'd volunteer to champion windows if'n I were up to it ... Instead I'll be one of those pretty, useless, sidelines women .. hows'about that? [smile]

------------------
If Galileo had lied to save his life, would America, or the West, or Space have been discovered?
And if Columbus had never set sail, would the Earth still be flat?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, what sort of name is 5300-series?

You want cool, racey imaginative names like Pentium. Pentium II. Er, Pentium III.

Or 486, 386.

No wait, scrap all that.

I shall instead support Jubes whole heartidly. Hows that?

------------------
'It's okay to only know three chords but God, put them in the right order'
-Hank Hill

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the 5300-series was just a (poorly-made) group of PowerBooks. See, "PowerBook" is imaginative.

These days Apple just makes G3s and iMacs. There used to be Performas, Quadras, Centrises, LCs, Classics, and all kinds of other nifty names. And then there were the clone companies, like Power Computing, whose line included PowerWaves, PowerTowers, PowerCenters, PowerBases, PowerCurves, and there was almost the PowerTrip laptop. Lots of power there.

------------------
Destruction Drone: "Throw down your weapons and I will spare your miserable lives!"

LB4747
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it wasn't a 5300. It was a 190cs. Admittedly, not nearly the top of the line (but it was all I could afford at that time). To be fair, I'm sure the more expensive, better powered Macs aren't nearly as problematic. Still, I did pay a reasonable amount of money for it and it would've been nice if the computer had lasted more than a year.

I don't actually hate Macs; it's just that I don't see that much benefit in switching over from Wintel based machines. And I personally don't think the Mac OS is vastly superior to Windows. Feel free to persuade me otherwise.

------------------
Lawrence Boucher
- "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."
- "For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain."

IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, the 190 was essentially the 5300 with a 68040 processor, so it had similar quality problems. (Two of these actually burst into flames, although this happened at Apple's headquarters.)

This page has a few outdated links, but is still useful.

------------------

Jubilee
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*realizing that she has now started some sort of mac/windows argument, the original poster of the topic goes O_o and then pulls a CC*

*in other words, she just shakes her head and walks away*

------------------
If Galileo had lied to save his life, would America, or the West, or Space have been discovered?

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Shouting "I hate Macs!" in a crowded thread will always start an argument.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*enters the thread just long enough to relieve himself on both Microsoft and Macintosh, then hurriedly runs away*

------------------
"About as useful as a narcoleptic rickshaw driver."
-James Lileks

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know, Bill Gates holes world records for wealth, so he can simply make some of you disappear if he so wishes

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan

Jubilee
Member # 99

*comes back in, just to say*

Wow, I started a topic that has 25 replies! Cool!
*now making her newbie-ness apparent*
*then walks back out*

------------------

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether or not they are better machines, I hear the imac's are selling quite well, which I find rather peculiar for a computer that has no disk drive and looks like a child's toy IMHO.

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

IP: Logged
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imac's look too plain and flashy to me...I prefer having a big box full of wires and stuff, and not having everything stuffed into the monitor

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Of course, the problem with iMac's is that next year they'll be hopelessly behind the pace of technology. On the other hand, if Macintosh then release a better iMac, they've kinda missed the point...

------------------
'Saying it in a stacato voice doesn't make it any more true'
-Stewart Lee

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps