Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » "Goober" - What is it? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Goober" - What is it?
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I've found that a 'goober' is a:

1. Peanut
2. Meat of any nut
3. a Chocolate covered peanut
4. a Gob of spit
5. a booger

Anyone else ever used this term at all?

a friend of mine calls himself the "Goober King"...I want to make sure he knows what a 'goober' really is...

------------------
"We are all a product of the environment we live in.... the rest, good or bad, may be free will." Charles C. Bohnam

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I call myself a Goober occasionally ... usually when i'm being a stupid clutz. It's hard to describe the exact definition I apply to it when i'm using it... but usually it's after i've done something really, really obviously stupid... and when I catch it finally I say "I'M SUCH A GOOBER!"

Don't know if that helps at all...

------------------
If I follow you home, will you keep me?

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your friend is a Hick, or a Country Bumpkin, then yes he may be a Goober.

------------------
"There are always bigger tits."

Qui-Gon Jinn in Mos Espa's sleaziest adult nightclub.

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Raises an eyebrow at Cargile* *L* Being from the South....*ahem*...when WE use goober, it's either in reference to a peanut--no OTHER nut--or to a person who is being goofy, or making a general fool of himself. Sometimes 'geek' could substitute...i guess. *shrugs*

------------------
"Fear attracts the fearful"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*looks at Jedi Weyoun*

Which south are you from?

I've heard it used all the time in regards to a klutzy or just a total redneck.

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, JW is from Tenn.. I have lived in Arkansas and Texas, two southern states, and I never heard the term "goober". I use the phrase southern states in the sense of the Confederate nation. (I like the Confederate flag. The flag is very distinctive and unforgettable.)
IP: Logged
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've never heard the term used in everyday life in L.A., but I have seen it as the brand of a peanut butter.

------------------
"Il est venu le temps des cath�drales
Le monde est entr�
Dans un nouveau millenaire.
L'homme a voulu monter vers les �toiles
�crire son histoire
Dans le verre ou dans la pierre."
--"Le Temps des Cath�drales", Notre Dame de Paris

Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up in Cana-Duuh, it's a gob of spit, AKA a loogie.

------------------
ERROR 404
The file you requested, signature.txt, does not exist on this server.

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't Goober the auto-mechanic in Mayberry?

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I believe so. Or was that Gomer? No, he was on a different show, wasn't he? Pleh...

Anyway, I very rarely hear the word "goober" used, but, when I do, it's usually either a peanut, or something mildly disparaging, like what Jubee said. But, as I said, I almost never actually hear it.

------------------
"If you hear only one song this year, there's something terribly wrong with you."
-They Might Be Giants, "Critic Intro"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was both, TSN.

------------------
"According to myth, the earth was created in six days. Now watch out! Here comes Genesis. We'll do it for you in six minutes."
--
Dr. Leonard H. McCoy

Feste
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also a song from the War of Yankee Aggression that has the refrain: peas, peas, peas, peas, eatin' goober peas/goodness how delicious eatin' goober peas!

If you are very lucky you will never hear it because it has one of those melodies you can't forget like "Tea For Two."

------------------
"'I'm afraid there's nowhere for you to sit,' I said coldly; 'the verandah is full of goats.'" --Saki "The Guests"

IP: Logged
Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being from the GEORGIA USA South, I stand firm in my Goober definition. I've seen and known enough of them.

------------------
"There are always bigger tits."

Qui-Gon Jinn in Mos Espa's sleaziest adult nightclub.

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*agrees with Cargile* It's the same here in West Texas. Only difference between here and Georgia, is there things are green, and there are hills.

------------------
"Angels and Ministers of Grace, defend us"
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason I have AOL IM is to talk with some buddies from Ohio's farm country. They call me that occasionally when I harrass them. It esp. refers to cow slobber!

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #3 : Whenever someone under you screws up make sure you teach them a lesson more so than you punish them.

[This message was edited by bryce on June 19, 1999.]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps