Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » "Goober" - What is it? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Goober" - What is it?
RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

*adds word to English vocabulary*

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*grumbles* well i *still* say i've never heard it used in reference to a hick, hillbilly, or redneck....and while i *may* qualify as one or both of the first two.....if someone were EVER to call me a GOOBER their neck would be immediately wrung like a turkey, until they turned blue gasping for oxygen and pleaded to be released. I dont' care if i AM a jedi. *L*

------------------
"Fear attracts the fearful"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't say I've ever used that term for anything that hasn't to do with peanuts and caramel, I have heard Jubilee use it on many occasions.

------------------
Lancelot: I'll go
Bridgekeeper: Stop! Whosoever crosses this bridge must answer me these questions three, e're the other side he see.
Lancelot: Ask the questions bridgekeeper
Bridgekeeper: What is your name.
Lancelot: I am Lancelot of Camelot.
Bridgekeeper: What is your quest
Lancelot: I seek the holy grail.
Bridgekeeper: What is your favourite colour?
Lancelot: Blue.
Bridgekeeper: Right! Off you go.
Lancelot: Oh, thank you.

(If you don't know, Electric Co.)

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Always in motion is the English language."

--Yoda

I have heard all of the above definitions (except for the cow slobber one -- *ads it to his personal lexicon*).

As far as "goober" meaning a hick or redneck, there is the possibility that this usage was "coined" on "the Andy Griffith Show" (that hick-town show set in Mayberry, hereinafter referred to as TAGS).

"Gomer" is used (at least in the military) to describe an innocent and ignorant person of (perhaps) limited intelligence/life experience. That usage of the term is most definitely derived from the character from TAGS (and later -- surprise! -- from "Gomer Pyle, USMC".)

Just my 2% of a dollar.

------------------
"He's dead, Jim."
"You find his car keys, I'll get his wallet!"
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message was edited by Baloo on June 20, 1999.]

zilla
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the goober should ONLY be used to make fun of someone outta love. They could be clutzy, funny, or just plain silly. bryce is a major goober. Goobers are also those chocolate thingys... so I'm thinking a goober is a nutty person... but is also kinf of sweet.
IP: Logged
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, when she has called me this before she sounded really upset!

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #4 : Never mention your girlfriend to anyone until your romantic reunion. You'll both get a laugh at their amazed faces.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps