Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Die Another Day ($$$poilers) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Die Another Day ($$$poilers)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...I say NOT NOT. I'm right, aint I?"

Technically, but only because of the double negative.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Q: "Now, pay attention 007: Nixpicker, standard issue. Do try to bring him back in one piece this time, Bond?"
Bond: "That's right Q, I won't."
Q: *sigh*

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't let Moneypenny play with the Nixpicker... [Razz]

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A list of homages according to IMDB

In honor of the franchise's 40th anniversary, there is a visual or spoken reference to each of the previous 19 Bond films, including:
Dr. No (1962) - Jinx (Halle Berry) walking out of the sea in a bikini, wearing a white belt and a diving knife.
From Russia with Love (1963) - The shoe with the poison-tipped blade is seen in Q's station laboratory. There is a knife concealed in a briefcase. In the ice palace sequence, there is a game board (the chess match).
Goldfinger (1964) - Jinx is nearly cut with a laser in Mr. Kil's laboratory. The rest of the fight scene is also a tribute. Bond once again drives a gadget-laden Aston Martin, specifically with a passenger ejector seat. The new Q comments that, as he learned from his predecessor, "I never joke about my work, 007." The scene where Bond and Graves fence for money, only to see Bond up the stakes for one of Graves' diamonds, is suggestive of the golf match between Bond and Auric Goldfinger. The golf match had originally been for money, until Bond throws down a gold brick to "up the stakes".
Thunderball (1965) - the jet-pack in Q's workshop. Bond uses a pen-like underwater breathing system.
You Only Live Twice (1967) - Little Nellie can be seen in the background of Q's lab. Scenes of the Icarus unfolding in space are shown on screens in the Ice Palace. Jinx descends from the ceiling of the fake diamond mine on a rope system similar to that of the ninjas in the volcano crater lair. The name of the ship Bond is on: the HMS Tenby. The use of Japanese swords in the films.
On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) - "OHMSS" written on a CD on Moneypenny's desk as she types a report at the end of the film. Bond escapes from another huge avalanche.
_Diamonds are Forever (1971)_ - while fencing with Bond, Graves says, "Well, diamonds are for everyone." Much of the plot includes diamonds. A large satellite is uncovered in space and has the power to harness the sun's rays and project them as a fine laser to destroy any given target. In a magazine ad for Gustav Graves' diamond company, the caption at the bottom says, "Diamonds are forever."
Live and Let Die (1973) - The laser causes row upon row of explosions across a vegetated area, in this case detonating thousands of land mines, and is reminiscent of the extermination of Kananga's poppy fields. Bond uses the same revolver used on the island of St. Monique.
Man with the Golden Gun, The (1974) - The corridors in the secret area of the Gene Technology department in the Cuban hospital contain rotating mirrors and objects, much like Scaramanga's Fun Palace. The Field office of MI6 is on a ship.
Spy Who Loved Me, The (1977) - Graves uses a Union Jack parachute. The Ice Palace resembles in some ways Stromberg's Atlantis hideout.
Moonraker (1979) - Moon's hovercraft falls down by a large waterfall in a manner similar to Jaws' boat going over the Iguaï¿œu Falls. Bond surfaces in a bubbling pool of water surrounded by much interior vegetation, similar to the scene with the water python in Drax's headquarters. Both movies have spies named Chang. Bond's sword fight with Graves was much like the fight with Chang in the glass factory. Bond and a villain fight over a parachute
For Your Eyes Only (1981) - The scene as Bond hangs onto the ice cliff (before it collapses) resembles the climax near the monastery, especially as the rope slips and Bond drops some distance further down the cliff, although this time it was all performed from a vehicle.
Octopussy (1983) - Both the crocodile submarine and the AcroStar MiniJet are visible in the background in Q's station laboratory.
View to a Kill, A (1985) - Bond is suspended over a cliff on the wire and hook much like the Russian Guard in the Siberian chase that Bond catches. Bond once again uses a rather unorthodox method of skiing, this time the hatch from the back of the car. Graves watches over the destruction that he wreaks from the front windows of his aircraft in the same way that Zorin watched Silicon Valley from his aircraft before it flooded.
Living Daylights, The (1987) - Cars exit the rear cargo hold of the plane.
_License to Kill (1989)_ - The plot idea of Bond going renegade, although this time it is less through choice. Bond uses a rifle as a sniper. M says, "License Revoked - the original title of License to Kill.
GoldenEye (1995) - Bond's watch contains a laser, which he uses to cut through a section of ice, reminiscent of his escape from the train by cutting through the floor. Jinx sets the timer for the bomb at the gene therapy lab in Cuba to three minutes, the same three minutes that Bond set the timers for in the chemical weapons lab and later Trevelyan set the timers for on the bullet train.
Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) - Jinx throws a knife straight into a guard's throat just as he comes through a door (this is similar to a scene on the Stealth Ship where Wai-Lin sticks a Shuriken throwing star into a guard's throat just as he finds her, but this scene is deleted from all Tomorrow Never Dies releases on VHS and DVD). Remote control car.
World Is Not Enough, The (1999) - Bond dives over Graves as they fence to do a forward roll as he lands, in a manner similar to the shoot-out between Renard's men and himself where he dives through a closing door and rolls the other side. As Bond dives to safety from Moon's flamethrower on the hovercraft, the shot of his dive from in front is almost identical to another scene where Bond is diving from an exploding bomb with Christmas. The use of a geodesic dome.
Some of the incidental music (minus of course the James Bond Theme, which is used in every film) is re-used in this film, notably at the end as Bond beds Jinx.
The cars Zao owns are all updated model of former Bond cars
Q mentions in his station laboratory as he hands Bond his new watch: "This is your twentieth, I believe." in a nod to this being the twentieth film occurring on the fortieth anniversary.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tenuous.

"In films 1-19, the lead character was also named James Bond, and was a spy."

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Bond uses the same revolver used on the island of St. Monique."

He hangs on to a large caliber revolver, true, but not the chromed, eight inch .44 Magnum from "Live and let die" ( a Smith&Wesson Model 29, same as Dirty Harry, who made it famous in 1971, Live and let Die came in -73).

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, I thought Graves owned the updated cars that Bond used in the past. And what cars do you refer to?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was an alright movie. IMHO they still have yet to top GoldenEye. Did anyone else find Miranda Frost to be a little "Whore-ish"? Damn she was skanky. Of course the best two parts were the car scene, and the sword battles (i loves swords). As for the song, I didn't think it was that bad. I think "The World is Not Enough" song was pretty good. The "Q" (or "R", whatever) scene was pretty lame. They definitely could have done better.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The crs that Colonel Moon/Graves had were a Porsche 911 GT2 (blown up by that gun), Ferrari 550 Maranello, classic Ford GT40, Ferrari F335, Lamborghini Diablo, and they were using Land Rover Range Rovers for Graves and his men at the ice hotel. Among the cars in the parking lot were a Jaguar XK8, Volvo S80, and a handful of other Ford products. Bond hasn't driven any of these.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in that case, how stupid of them to leave out the Lotus Esprit from "The spy who loved/shagged/drugged me".

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not as mad as what happend to the Col. car's as to what Bond did to his Aston Martin.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

Would you rather he do something like he did with the BMW Z8 in The World Is Not Enough?

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

Heaven forbid...

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, heaven!
Nim
Member # 205

That Helicopter-turned-lawnmower scene would just have to be the most stupid and poorly contemplated scene in all the Bond movies!! I dare you to name something cornier!

My two favs as of now: Goldfinger and The spy Who Loved Me.
Many hate George Lazenby but In Her Majesty's Secret Service is special to me as it was the first Bond-movie I saw, back when I was 9.

[ December 01, 2002, 02:36: Message edited by: Nimrod Pimding ]

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps