Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Oh, yay! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Oh, yay!
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
howls!
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May seem ridiculous, Chris, but many southeastern European countries' cultures -- especially in rural areas -- have a husband lined up for a girl by the time she's 7 or 8, and usually married off by 10 or 11. One American anthropologist who went over there discovered many of those girls/women had never had their periods, having gotten pregnant before they had a chance to go through their first one, and not getting any breaks. Yeek.

Epoch -- thanks for the clarification. Cool. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of teenagers' existence as individuals, and weren't just regarding them with the sort of blanket condescension I've seen in a lot of adults (who seem to have forgotten their own teen years, and that children are merely small humans and not mental defectives).

TSN -- That wasn't what I was saying at all. I'm just saying that, like many things people tend to take for granted, the age of consent is not some carefully-researched and scientifically-consistent Law of Nature. And that, like all things we have a tendancy to accept dogmatically, it should be examined and challenged to determine its worth and validity.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And just think: A few more months, and he'd have been safe.

The AoC in PA is 16.

quote:
Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes
CRIMES AND OFFENSES (TITLE 18)
PART II. DEFINITION OF SPECIFIC OFFENSES.
CHAPTER 31. SEXUAL OFFENSES
Subchapter B. Definition Of Offenses
� 3122.1. Statutory sexual assault.
Except as provided in section 3121 (relating to rape), a person commits a felony of the second degree when that person engages in sexual intercourse with a complainant under the age of 16 years and that person is four or more years older than the complainant and the complainant and the person are not married to each other.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it was in Maryland, where it's also 16. And they STILL would have pushed it, I bet.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
16 here too, in RI, although if you piss off someone's parents i'm pretty sure you can still get in lotsa trouble. when i was arrested with Asia, i found that if she had been a few months younger i wouldve hada lot more charges.

depends on the parents though, when i was 19, my friend Julie was 14 and i always hung out at her house, parents didn't give a shit. as the world falls apart, the first thing that goes is family structure.. unlucky when you fall for a girl with concerned parents.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
One American anthropologist who went over there discovered many of those girls/women had never had their periods, having gotten pregnant before they had a chance to go through their first one

It's been a while since A-level Biology, but...how exactly does that work then?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sperm with camping equipment?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Each cycle, woman is fertile for a relatively set amount of time. (Apparently if she's fertile for much longer than that, it's not very healthy.) When that amount of time ends, she has a period. Repeat ad menopause. So a girl's first period is actually the END of her first fertility cycle.

Of course, I was under the impression that a girl wasn't actually fertile during her first few cycles, but what do I know?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't ask me, I got my degree in Science but I spent all of my time in the Geology classes.

--------------------
The Poster formally known as Tec.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes, geology... A much better course to take than biology. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see here, female reproductive organs in the one hand, rock layers in the other. Gee, let me think...

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neither of them sound good for topics for friendly chatter.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that depends on with whom you're speaking, no?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good god almighty! I haven't seen this many malcontents since, well... last time I was here. I'm glad everyone feels like trivial things like the law should be brushed aside willy nilly.

You have sex with a minor, you go to jail. Don't like it? Don't break the law. Don't like the law, work to change it. As Omega put it, the heart is no defense. If it was, I'd have killed Omega long ago. But I didn't, why? I don't want to go to jail.

I'm shocked so many here have come out against the law. Do any of you realize what it would be like without the law? Omega here would be dead, killed by one of us. Wait, that hurts my argument. Well, Simon surely would've been chewed up by now, his spindly frame rotting amidst a pile of Camper Von Beethoven CDs, murdered for his glasses by a myopic marauder. Does anyone want to see that?

And allow me to explain to Liam: see, women bleed from their na-nas every now and then, and babies come from their na-nas!

--------------------
"Don't leave the ladies crying cause the story's sad" Joe Walsh

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There can be no justice as long as laws are absolute.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps