Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Oh, yay! (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Oh, yay!
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I said Shik was brave because it takes some guts to face legal action and possibility of jail, especially when what he did wasn't essentially wrong (unless you had a sexually repressed Christian upbringing, in which case I'm terribly sorry for you). It was unlawful only in a strictly technical sense...and I don't know why I even bother with this. You can be tried for murder as an adult at 15 but you're not adult enough to have sex? There's something screwed up about that.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Point

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have killed Omega long ago. But I didn't, why? I don't want to go to jail.

How comforting.

There can be no justice so long as laws are absolute.

So long as the laws are just, sure there can. Mind you, I'm not saying I want to live in such a way that forgiveness is disallowed, but since the laws are totally secular, what option to you propose?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want Simon to die.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do...

wait, who are we talking about again?

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, but you can't hope to stand up against the paragon of moral and ethical excellence that is DT. He is the perfect human being, and knows a lot about history too.

And, for those of you with your sarcasm detectors offline, he's a stuck-up cunt who shows his face round here once a year before being collectively told to fuck off. He seems to derive some strange entertainment from the process.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread makes me feel strange.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Down there"?

"...Camper Von Beethoven..."

Was that intentional? Because your misspelling loses the pun entirely.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DT:
Good god almighty! I haven't seen this many malcontents since, well... last time I was here. I'm glad everyone feels like trivial things like the law should be brushed aside willy nilly.

You have sex with a minor, you go to jail. Don't like it? Don't break the law. Don't like the law, work to change it. As Omega put it, the heart is no defense. If it was, I'd have killed Omega long ago. But I didn't, why? I don't want to go to jail.

I'm shocked so many here have come out against the law. Do any of you realize what it would be like without the law? Omega here would be dead, killed by one of us. Wait, that hurts my argument. Well, Simon surely would've been chewed up by now, his spindly frame rotting amidst a pile of Camper Von {sic} Beethoven CDs, murdered for his glasses by a myopic marauder. Does anyone want to see that?

And allow me to explain to Liam: see, women bleed from their na-nas every now and then, and babies come from their na-nas!

There is a difference between considering law beneficial, and considering it infallible. As a whole, the laws of our country are beneficial, as message board posters don't maraud each other's homes, killing at will because of murder laws. Its a strange piece of logic that would derive the conclusion that since one law was good, all of them must be.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that all of them must be, from situation to situation, regardless of the circumstances.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other hand, I'm sure that a good number of people who have broken the law think that they were justified in doing it. That doesn't make it so.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of controversial laws that fail to account for individual circumstances, how about this one? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What individual circumstance is unforseen by that particular bill?

It punishes theft. It does not discriminate by religion, race, sex, age, party, economic class, or any other criteria. It is therefore good.

As I see it, only people who could find it "controversial" are the people who are upset because they won't be allowed to steal anymore.

Of course, since piracy and copyright violation is already illegal, it is a bit redundant, but that's the price we pay for having moral relativists who try to worm their way around "the system" any way they can. Vile creatures.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the case of that law, it's so vague that it (seems to) outlaw ANY peer-to-peer file sharing system -- or at least, that's the way I've been reading it in the articles, and at how it may be enforced.

Sure, piracy is piracy and is wrong. Strange as it may seem, I've never participated in any of those kinds of file-sharing programs. But I can think of several other methods and means that could fall under the same qualifications described above and still be "right" in principle.

For instance -- if someone gets a draft version of an upcoming "Enterprise" episode script and posts it on their web page for viewing, they might be liable for $250,000 in damages and several years in prison, should Paramount decide to crack down on it and claim that they're losing money because of the "theft."

My point is that the people who wrote these kinds of laws either did not forsee the extent to which information availability would develop over the Internet, or else were in the back pockets of the various entertainment industry organizations.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps we should put a vote to the people on whether or not this so-called "piracy" is wrong. Rather than leaving it to corporate-owned legislators.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps