Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » How did you discover (Solar)Flare? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: How did you discover (Solar)Flare?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The recent posts in another thread have gotten me interested in the whole Flare history thing. So, I figured I'd ask everyone how they discovered Flare? For me, I don't quite remember, but I do remember that I found the place from an old DAC thread dealing with Enterprise's model of a Nebula-ized Constitution (TOS version).

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i kinda recall reading lots of Flare the summer i got whacked out on hallucinogins, i found it through a link on EAS, which was the primo hotspot for stealing starship scans (i've learned better now.. credit where credit is due..).. i lurked for a while, as my life was collapsing around me. as of Sept '01 i moved home, quit getting trashed and went back to school.. the first week of school i started skipping classes to hang in the complab and post at Flare.

I registered the week before 9/11, it was on Flare that i found everything that was going on from Wes's thread ( i have it printed out on school paper somewhere ).. as CNN and MSNBC went down, i remember Flare being my only source of info.

i remember further back, i'm sure i surfed by a lot of old versions of everybody's sites, back in 97 i was a complete net n00b and wasnt much interested in a forum, although chats, like startrekker.net were awesome for me, we rehashed the same tired old drudgery about the FC ships with the same 5 pics over and over, and did RPG battles which mostly consisted of
"raises shields"
"raises metaphasic shields"
"fires torpedo"
"fires quantum torpedo"
"turns into Q, destroys universe"
"turns into Q-2, ass rapes Q"
etc,etc,etc

the boredom of this made me sign up for my very own geocities site, which started out as an Austin Powers and ST: Early Voyages index, and grew into the Galactopedia (converted from MS Works files i'd kept since 95 after extreme dissatisfaction that the encyclopedia wasnt keeping up with DS9 and VGR)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd Schneider suggested I come here in Oct 1999, when the Starfleet Museum had only 4 ships. Here's my first thread: http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000202#000000

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I flitted by a couple times in the early days back in 97 or so, but never stayed around or paid much attention. I went looking for my first post here, but the archives don't go back that far, I think.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I probably found Flare from Bernd's site, too... I registered in late 2000 according to my profile, but at that time I spent more time at the TrekBBS. But that place gradually lost its appeal as it got so damn crowded -- despite its oddities, this place is a lot friendlier these days. Or at least, devoid of a lot of clueless idiots. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew Shik from my AOL days -- I used to hang around the "Star Trek" chats on AOL when I first got my PC, and eventually we were talking about something (I don't remember which), and he sent me the link.

I registered that day, posted, and then expressed wonder as to just where in the heck everyone was and why no one replied. Shik's reply, "most of 'em are European dude, the time change, the time change ..." (or something along those lines).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh....uh.....my brain hurts.

I originally went to a website called "The Great Link" to get the majority of my Star Trek-related information. For some reason it was closely associated with some forum which had something to do with the Behaviour Group. It might have been called "Star Trek Central" or was that a later incarnation?
In any case Behaviour died and the forum got moved. Was that when Charles Capps hacked the forum and turned everything red? Or was that later.
In any case, that forum died, then another, then another, there was a brief sojurn to the TNO forums, and then here.

You know what? Someone else fill me in on the details of my refugee-like movements [Wink]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I either found Great Link or UP1 first. Eventually found my way to the Behaviour forums.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See Omega's Flare FAQ.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
I knew Shik from my AOL days -- I used to hang around the "Star Trek" chats on AOL when I first got my PC, and eventually we were talking about something (I don't remember which), and he sent me the link.

That's right...I'm responsible for him. No nastygrams, just nailbombs please.

quote:
I registered that day, posted, and then expressed wonder as to just where in the heck everyone was and why no one replied. Shik's reply, "most of 'em are European dude, the time change, the time change ..." (or something along those lines).
Which is one of the wonderful reasons I've enjoyed staying here for almost 3 years--the differing perspectives. Many of you have at LEAST 3 quotes in my archive, so the humor potential is just monstrous. There's also the fact that, due to having members on 5 continents (no one's shown up from Africa or Antarctica yet, right?) you're almost guaranteed to find activity at any time of the day, even if it's just a single insomniac poster.

Continuity, flow, energy, momentum, & balance are our watchwords. Plus Sol System.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't "find" Flare. I've been around since the original UP board. Which I found via AltaVista.
Shik
Member # 343

I'm sorry, but I have to.

"In Soviet Russia, Flare finds you!"

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told in a dream to come here and bother everyone or at least make Trek comments....

...and somebody (Anuresim? Shik? who knows for sure?) linked a bunch of my models to the site.
THe rest is heresay and cannot be cooberated in a court of law.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google [Big Grin]

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on the original UP board (the inline-message board with a black background (was it stars?) (and purple and green text?). That morphed into that board that got trashed - I still don't know the story behind that - can someone enlighten me/us - Starfleet Communications Relay.

Then we migrated to that temporary board should read the whole thread - THE TNO BOARDS!, - which I guess is still out there but didn't get much traffic.

Then there was here, Flare/Solareclipse.

Before UP - I was on the Trekweb board... but it became unbearable. I finally stopped going there in either late 1997 or early-mid 1998. I think.

Andrew

[ March 13, 2003, 01:46 AM: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps