Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » How did you discover (Solar)Flare? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: How did you discover (Solar)Flare?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found it through EAS. Wow. I registered in December 1999. That's a long long time ago.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also hail from the old UP board, which I saw mentioned in a Usenet posting. Probably alt.binaries.startrek - I wasn't especially interested in Trek online, just looking for starship pictures.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
I didn't "find" Flare. I've been around since the original UP board. Which I found via AltaVista.

Same here, but I think I found the webboard by chance after finding the main site. That was a long time ago! [Eek!]

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember exactly where I found Flare, I think I found a Flare-link on some Trek CGI-modeler's linkpage
(Martin Hajek, Mateen Greenway or someone like that) and here I found some pre-tty interesting discussions about DS9 and Voyager eps and events.

I lurked for about six months, then felt I really wanted to contribute and so I registered.

What caught my attention first was the levelheadedness of the threads and the posters.
This wasn't just any gathering of adolescent dreamers whose main vocabulary was "kewl", "that's so gay" and
"Fu** you too, my modified Defiant beats your buphed-up Intrepid class mod!".

Had it been, I wouldn't have stayed. So there you go.

I've really enjoyed my stay here, there practically haven't been any "bad times", I've felt support from people in different ways
and I have tried to give it back as much I could.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met Simon in a Yahoo! Star Trek chatroom, and he introduced me to this place. I've been around on and off since the first UBB version, shortly before the CapComs started, actually.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that Tora Ziyal!?! *waves*

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found it through the 'You're the Admiral' sections on MinutiaeMan's site, a little over a year ago.

quote:
What caught my attention first was the levelheadedness of the threads and the posters.
This wasn't just any gathering of adolescent dreamers whose main vocabulary was "kewl", "that's so gay" and
"Fu** you too, my modified Defiant beats your buphed-up Intrepid class mod!".

Absolutely. Also most of the divertions are... amusing [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AndrewR, do I know you?

--------------------
life creation in progress

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this place and Sci-Fi Art around the same time soon after getting the day job that I have now and, for the first time, having access to a phat, 24-7, free connection. SFA was my main hang out, mostly because I was posting some work and chatting about it, but I posted regularly here, too. After SFA fell apart, I never bothered to sign up at Gladiators for some reason.

I'm pretty sure I found the boards originally by searching at DogPile.com... I think I was looking for sci fi artwork... or star trek artwork... or something.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started at the UP forums after finding UP and Behaviour through AltaVista I believe (I think I just put 'Starship' into the search engine). That's where I first created the name of Matt359. After Behaviour, I had been away for a half year or so, and came back to find nothing there! I later found the group at the SFCR. Then the shit hit the fan and I ended up here.

Oh, and according to Omega's thread, I need to be interviewed or something...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm another member who's precence we can all blame on Bernd's EAS.

According to my profile I registered in April 2000 after lurking for about six months.

My very first thread

As you can see Topher had the honor of being the first to welcome me...and he hasn't left me alone since. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matt (The359) introduced it to me I guess when it first became SolarFlare I don't remember the exact date. I remember the Ambassador style LCARS interface scheme being used. I tried to register but couldn't because of my Yahoo email account. About a month later I borrowed my mom's Eudora email to finally register making me #138!

::sigh:: If only I could have a double-digit number then I really would feel like an old-timer here. [Wink]

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can all blame Frank for my presence. I was developing the galaxy for my own hard sci-fi show, and I stumbled onto Frank's Distant Horizon. Then I became obsessed with Frank and would secretly celebrate his birthday without his knowing and printed up dozens of pictures of him (all pixelated at life size) and set them around my room and would talk to these about the technology on my show and the feasibility of interstellar travel. Eventually I learned that he came here, and I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to get to know him, and maybe meet some other people who might be interested in creating something new. Well that didn't happen, so now I mostly just hang around and make flippant passive aggressive comments and viciously attack anyone who breathes so much as a sour word about TWOK. I have since blacked out the eyes of my Frank cut-outs, but I haven't been able to bring myself to throw them away.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can blame [Big Grin] my presence on the crackers/DDoSers who where responsible for crashing Omega Project's server, forcing it off the air repeatedly between late '99 - early '00.

Then, during a frantic quest to wet me' olde appetite for all things Trek, I snatched the URL to Flare from the now-defunct SWMA and decided to take up a permanent residence here. [Smile]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps