Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Molly (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Molly
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

She was found as a newborn kitten abandoned in a stable, presumably by a feral mother cat. She had one sibling dead already, and wasn't expected to survive. But she did, and we took her in.

She was incredibly mischievous, but also the most affectionate cat you ever saw. She'd sit on your cehst with her face right in yours, purring her head off. She loved fusses and cuddles.

And she'd dead. Seven months old.

She's been missing for more than a day, and a cat was seen by a neighbour lying dead or injured by the road. Either a car, or a fox muxt have got her. We can't find the body, either another fox took her or - more likely - one of the self-absorbed southeren fucks who live round here got rid of it because it might affect the house prices, darling.

And when we last saw her we were annoyed with her because she'd pissed on the bed, and was in season for the first time as well.

So, don't take your pets for granted - or indeed anyone special to you. Tell your significant other you love them every day. Life is short, people - and there are plenty of things out there ready to shorten it further.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, I know how you feel. She deserves to be remembered.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's horrible. You have my sympathy. [Frown]

About three years ago, our second, middle-aged cat died of kidney failure. She was a completely indoor cat -- she was born indoors after her pregnant mother had been taken in by a family a few weeks earlier, and lived her entire life indoors. Relatively shy -- almost neurotic in a way because she was kind of skittish. We'd noticed that she had stopped eating as much, seemed to be very uncomfortable, acting more withdrawn than normal. We took her to the vet, who prescribed some daily injections that could possibly help. Unfortunately, it wasn't a quick shot -- it was an IV drip, so we had to hold her down on the table while the drip worked. But the medication didn't help for too long, and it was painful for her anyway... a few months later we had to put her down.

Losing a pet is one of the worst things to happen to any family. [Frown]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, Lee. I know that when my dog's time finally comes, it's going to absolutely kill me. I'm really sorry, man.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear it. We recently lost dogs that way.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown] That's sad; I'm sorry, Lee. One of my cats died a few years ago from kidney failure; not nice [Frown] .

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I'm sorry, Lee. I know that when my dog's time finally comes, it's going to absolutely kill me. I'm really sorry, man.

Ditto from me but I've got a cat. [Frown]

We had another cat before Silky, her name was Scrabble, and she too died of kidney failure (seems to be a common thing with older cats) we put her down as she went blind, poor thing. I wasn't all that upset about her passing as I'd never established a real connection with her as she was around before I was born. It's a different story with Silky, she's my second "little sister" and I don't know what life would be like without her - yes I do: a little more lonely and boring.

Sitting on you with her face in yours, purring her head off? Sounds very familiar, though she tended to piss on the new carpet rather than the floor! [Big Grin] Oh and climb the curtains! [Big Grin] She was a devil when she was young, but so cute and adorable (bit like babies really). [Roll Eyes]

You have my sympathies Lee, and those of my family. May Molly RIP.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone. May she rest in peace, indeed - but I'd far sooner she was resting behind me on the bed, or on my lap. . .

There's always a chance the neighbour didn't see a cat at all, or it was a different cat. That she was scared by all the foxes around that night and ran off and got lost; or even went off with some tomcat for a heavy shagging session. That one morning, or when we come home in the evening, she'll be there, complaining bitterly.

But we know that isn't going to happen. The bloodstains on the road where she was spotted rule that out.

We're all a little bit heartbroken right now. I know one should have a sense of perspective, that she was just a cat, that she was almost living on borrowed time anyway given her origins and general recklessness. But the fact remains she was something a little bit special, a beautiful little thing full of affection.

We still have our other two cats. They're equally special in their own unique ways, and they obviously miss her too. Frazzle made me go out for a walk with him tonight, following her old scents. Right now he's sitting by my chair looking at me and making these questioning noises.

I guess we need closure. Finding the shithead who thought he could drive too fast down that road, and killing him would be nice. Tracking down that fox's lair and pouring some home-made napalm would also fit the bill. Instead we just get on with our lives, only now something is missing.

Sorry, I'm just blathering now. I've not had a lot of experience with death for someone in their 30's, so even the death of a pet (I've never lost one before, we always had to give them away as we m6ytttttttt - Frazzle just leapt on the keyboard! - moved from country to country) is affecting me quite a lot.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the feeling. Three years ago we lost one of our cats, named Sam. Sam was 14 years old and had stomach and vision problems for about three years, as well as arthiritis that continuously got worse as the years wore on. We finally took him to the Vet to haev him put to sleep.

Just prior to my return from an overseas deployment, one of our other cats, Warlock, died at our home. Warlock had been diagnosed as diabetic back in July of last year. He'd been pretty bad sick for some weeks prior and Wife kept taking him to the Vet, who kept altering his insalin dosage.

Anyhow, he kept losing weight and couldn't hold down any weight. Eventually passed away one night while my wife and Warlocks sister Witch sat with him. I hate that I wasn't there to say goodbye...

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sympathies, man.

(A piece of local news just flashed, about an elderly woman who fell in a ditch and suffocated while trying to drown three young kittens... she had a reputation in the neighbourhood for hating cats. Poetic justice.)

[ May 17, 2003, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Cartmaniac ]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I like that. I hope the kittens tripped her leg.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poetic justice, indeed!

On a happier note, my family and I are going to adopt two new kittens this evening. Haven't picked them yet, though -- going to check them out. Been researching on the web from multiple sources to get advice on how to introduce new kittens to your older cats.

I don't know exactly *why* we're getting more cats already -- I love 'em, of course, but they're also an expense, after all. My younger sister has been begging for a new kitten (singluar) for almost a year now, but I never expected my parents to cave, especially my dad -- until Christmas, that is, when he consented.

But now we're going to be getting TWO. The reason for that is that our two current cats are 10 and 17 years old, and so they could easily gang up on the new one (although they're both very gentle, if getting crochety for their age). So we figured that getting two would let the kittens play with each other.

We're not going to the SPCA; there's a woman who runs a relatively well-known shelter out of her home a few miles from us, and keeps the kittens together. So they'll already be familiar with living indoors to an extent, and they'll also be somewhat familiar with each other.

It's been 12 years since we had a new kitten in the house -- that was Chessie, the cat who died of kidney failure about 3 years ago. She's the tabby in this picture. Sassy (Sassafras) is the one on the left, now 10 years old, and Oreo is the fat one on the right, now 17 years old and still almost as alert as ever... [Smile]

I'll post some pics from my dad's digital camera either tonight or tomorrow.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No offense but that pic looks like a mugshot of three 1700's chinese war criminals after a particulary demanding spree.
'Claw Forest' Eong in the middle, 'Broken Tail' Wen on the right and Cheng 'Smothering Belly' on the left.

"Point that thing elsewhere or you won't make it to the door, you spawn of bastard".

PS: I just saw "Hero".

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dubbed and mutilated Miramax version, or the original Chinese cut?

[ May 17, 2003, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Cartmaniac ]

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The picture reminds me of the nameless cat that has adopted my coworkers. Perhaps she now has a name.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.