Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » How do I do CSS columns?

Author Topic: How do I do CSS columns?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently in the process of redoing my own personal website after the resounding success of my last project.

However, I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to create two equal columns of content inside a larger page. For small (and equal height) blocks, I've used the FLOAT style for one and then had the other one aligned on the opposite side.

However, that's a pretty haphazard way of doing it. I've racked my brains, searched Dreamweaver's built-in "O'Reilly CSS Reference" catalogue, browsed the W3C's lengthy and jargon-filled specs pages, and searched various CSS-oriented tips sites. None of them can do what I want to do.

I've already got a similar setup in use, but that appearance is achieved using tables -- and using tables to format text is the work of the Devil himself!

Does anyone here have any clue what needs to be done?

Thanks in advance! [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is, if you start 'floating' DIVs, they can't be contained inside other DIVs.

I'm not even sure you can achieve that layout with only CSS. At least, I can't think of an easy solution right now. Hmmm.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Figures I'd try to do the tough techniques. [Razz]

A while back, I tried using the "display: block" style for an enclosing DIV tag, and then set the two widths. But it still wasn't working properly.

It's not a huge crisis if I can't keep that style -- if I just do a straight-down list, I can have longer descriptions. (Always look for the silver lining, I say...) But I do like having the two columns to conserve some space. And lengthy descriptions aren't all that useful -- if people want to know more about the site, they should visit the damn site rather than read about it on my page! [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://members.lycos.nl/harrysdump/csstest.html

But it only works in Internet Explorer. Mozilla/Phoenix (which follows the CSS specs more carefully) literally floats the DIVs and makes a mess of it.

Very strictly HTML/CSS speaking, two columns for a _list_ of links has no contextual meaning. The strictly correct way to display the links would be a UL (or possibly a DL), 'sexed up' with CSS.

Or if you want it to look the same, use tables [Smile]

Oh, and I've found a minor layout bug in tree-tech.com [Smile]

-

Longer topic titles disappear. This is at 1024*768.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Actually, I'm already using the DL (definition list) tag for my links, to separate the link title and its capsule description. Can I just apply a preference to the definition list (a tag selector) then?

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Not to make 2 columns..

--------------------

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CSS layoutish goodness:

http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/

http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/boxes.html

http://www.glish.com/css/

In short, you use two divs, both blocks... float one left/right as the menu, then give the other slightly more of a left/right margin as the menu is wide. Adding another column on the opposite side is just a matter of another floated block div and twiddling the margin.

http://www.glish.com/css/7.asp

^^ best example, though it uses absolute positioning for the menus.

*edit*

http://www.glish.com/css/2.asp

There's one that uses float.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, while we're at it, can anyone refer me to a nifty bit oj Javascript/DHTML that'll open a new window without toolbars, un-resizable, but with scrollbars? I had a good one but can't find it; the ones I have found don't seem to work and don't look right.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps