Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Snap! Crackle! Pop! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Snap! Crackle! Pop!
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I decide to pay a visit to the old Staples Store that I worked at for nine months before I quit to work at a new job. I was hoping to see my good friend Terry who had recently been promoted to full time. You see, Terry and I were hired around the same time as part-time Computer Sales Associates, so we've been good friends since. Earlier this week, I've noticed Terry has stopped returning my calls.

Now I know why.

In a hallway where the washrooms are, there are four large dents to the plaster wall. Pretty big ones too. My manager says that I should have taken a look at the Men's bathroom too a few days ago. It would seem that Terry had Snapped and went on a Crackling rampage which resulted him in Popping those holes in the wall, as well as ripping off a toilet roll dispenser in the bathroom.

I know Terry to have a relatively short fuse. This usually happens when customers insult his intelligence, and I've seen it happen several times, usually from customers who think they know better than the people who work at the store. I've had my fill of bad customers, even got into a relatively loud argument with a rude customer in which I had decided to devote my useful time elsewhere. (The asshole didn't give up yelling at me, even went to the manager to have me fired, which didn't happen.) Ever since I got my new job, he has somehow become a little more hostile towards me, which I attributed to petty jealousy. He was also given a full time shift after one of our regulars quit in a huff. I had recently congratulated him, saying, hey, it's more money in your pocket, and better benefits too. He would shoot back, always complaining about the customers.....

Now this happens. I later learned that immediately after the incident, the managers had told him to submit his letter of resignation, effectively firing him. What caused this? From what I hear, it was One. Small. Ink. Cartridge. Worth. Only. $45. Worthless. Canadian. Dollars. This must have been on helluva dispute for him to react like that. Another manager had told him to seek anger management counselling, he had feared that it would only be a matter of time before Terry would punch someone.

So he is gone. There are a lot of shocked faces in the store, and now they have a shortage of Computer Sales Associates (including myself and Terry, 5 people in the department have left the store).

There have been times in which I wanted to vent my anger into some solid but hollow object, but sanity prevented me from doing so. After all, this is retail, and it is all part of the game.

Oh, and Terry is also a Brit. A Chinese Brit. Dunno if that has anything to do with it. j/k

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking as someone that works at kinko's, I know his pain and the horror of EXTREMELY dumb customers.
Still, if he can't handle that level of presure, he's SOL for any corperate level cubicle-hell work.
He's got a short fuse and people problems?
He should become a cop. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he's held it back before, which still makes his recent act quite surprising.

He really is a nice guy outside of the store, and his temper is almost non-existant in that environment. I guess I'll never figure out what was going through his head.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back when I was a civilian, for some reason customers seemed to think they were above you and knew everything. I liked it when the store I used to work at rearranged the store, and I got yelled at for 'flipping the store' and then told to put it back to normal.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It happens. There's only so much crap you can tolerate and so much anger you can hold in check before you lose control of yourself (especially if you don't have a release or way of venting your anger).

When I was working tech support, I watched one of my coworkers start berating one of our customers after the customer had been yelling and bitching at my coworker for a solid twenty minutes. I sat on three stations away from and I could make out most of what the customer was saying. My coworker got into severe trouble for that; she nearly lost her job.

Back when I worked in the dorms, I almost ripped the front desk phone cord out of the socket threw the phone through a window. I caught myself before doing that but not before damaging the phone when I slammed the receiver down. That was a very bad and stressful day for me, and the bitch from the teachers' camp pushed me too far. I got into a bit of trouble for that.

I've never known anyone who's done as much damage as your friend Terry apparently did.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why I have been avoiding getting a job for years (I am 20 and as of yet still have never had a real job). First, I would not be able to handle the public, and Second, I can only think of one job in which I could actually handle stuff and halfway enjoy myself, and that's a book store, but they aren't hiring...

Of course my parents nag me about it, but that is only fuel to the fire of me not wanting to get a job, merely to smite them.

Being a soccer referee for many years, I know about taking crap from people (the crowd). I've retaliated a couple times, even though we're supposed to say nothing. They really can get me pissed off, but with being a referee, you have the backup of knowing that no matter what YOU are always right, not the crowd/customer.

Unfortunatly that wont work in a real job...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Of course my parents nag me about it, but that is only fuel to the fire of me not wanting to get a job, merely to smite them."
Okay.

Something like:
1) I never knew you were so omnipotent.

Or, maybe something like:
2) I thought you already had a job as a carpenter?

Or even something like:
3) At least you can argue with your Dad. If I do, it's blaspheming.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant spite...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a lot of people though (especially those who are 20. I mean, 20!), getting a job isn't really a choice, so much as a necessity. So you're quite lucky in that respect.

Also, referees are never right at any point in time ever.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Member # 239

Twenty year olds are useless.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Also, referees are never right at any point in time ever.

It's written into the rule book [Razz]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few months back I had a customer come into my work, walk up to me and say "I want to print something off my computer".
It took several minutes (and the customer getting really frusterated with my questions) before he said "Look, I'm no computer expert! I just wanr to print from my computer because my printer broke!"
He somehow thought that he could use one of our rental computers, click on "My Computer" and access his PC's files.
Somebody sold this drooler a computer.
I honestly had to sit down with this einstein and explain what a disk was and how to save his work on it.

These are the people I get to help at three in the morning.

Cool huh?
I can't even get mad: it's like working in a sitcom world for $15 an hour. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work in a restaurant. If it wasn't for the customers it'd be quite fun. We ran out of salt sachets last week and had to put a big thing of salt out; about 1/2 the people who came in took the salt with them back to their tables. So I spent most of the day running around trying to find whichever idiot had taken the salt this time. Oh, the fun. And I only get �3.45 an hour.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to leave the hotel industry, stoopid people abounded. So I became a bank courier, working at night avoiding as many people as possible.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps