Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » 512 or 1024? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: 512 or 1024?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've sorta kicked the Starcraft habit

Yes, and I kicked your ass last time we played. Just for the record. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the record, the exterior design of the computer does sell. For instance my VPR Matrix is designedby Porche, the difference between my computer and some randon design I have no clue. Though in Maxim, my computer was ranked number 1 for the best looking.

I had two choices, when I bought my computer, and it really came down to the screen size (I have a laptop), a 13" or a 15.5". I choose the bigger one, and it was $50 cheaper. Never mind the processing power, amount of RAM, or how many blinkies I have inside of it.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
I've sorta kicked the Starcraft habit

Yes, and I kicked your ass last time we played. Just for the record. [Big Grin]

Because I hadn't played like for 3 months before our last matchup? I get rusty easily. [Wink]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"No one recommends a Mac to me without coming away alive."

Are you sure you didn't mean the opposite?

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
But, then, does it matter how fast the computer is if it doesn't run anything?

(oooh, that stings)

No, but I've been working on my gaming system. This thing used to inhabit a beige case. That's an Athlon XP 2000 (+!) with a meager, paltry, pitiful, pitiable 256MB DDR RAM and it kind of makes me laugh that it's running Win98SE. Because it's running Win98SE like blazes. So, I'm an old-timer and I'm into some older games. What can I say, Red Alert 2 kind of kicks ass on this thing. (I haven't installed Total Annihilation, but someone around here was asking me to march my Krogoth all up in their Commander, weren't they?) Incidentally it has not escaped my attention that my muffin fan makes the thing look more than a little gay. Also, I am one of the people who would buy blinky RAM were it not prohibitively expensive. Also, total system cost ~$250.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was I.

And that drive of yours sticks out like a sore thumb. Get a matching front for it. Please. B)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still want to build a computer that doesn't have a case. I figure I can have all the drives and stuff sitting on my desk with the motherboard sitting in the fridge. It'd be cool until the first time my cat coughs up a hairball on hard drive.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I worked at the electronics warehouse we did that for testing. Well, ok, not the fridge part. I remember one particularly idiotic guy spilling his grape Welch's on a bare MB. I remember thinking what a waste at the time. But those were probably 386 motherboards and so not really too tragic a loss. Maybe Saltah'na could sell you a Lexan case as a compromise.
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
It was I.

But Cartman, I like you. I just wouldn't feel right Bertha'ing you into non-existence. Nah, it'd be fun. Let me get my DSL going again and you can feed me some crow and humble pie. Do you prefer Arm or Core?
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
And that drive of yours sticks out like a sore thumb. Get a matching front for it. Please. B)

But you see this would blow the whole total system cost ~$250. Maybe I'll spray-paint it. The case didn't cost much more than a plain case and it's surprisingly quiet (when contrasted with my Antec case which might be better suited for swirling around the Carribean and demolishing mobile home parks).

On topic: 512 will likely do you just fine. You could always drop another one in there if things get tight. And, of course, by the time you learned a program that would require that 2G of memory, you will likely want/need a new computer to run it anyway (which, of course, will use holocrystaline BRXPR 28000000 Memory(which some manufacturer will have created with potentially blinding integral laser show)).

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, things that are aesthetically pleasing and visually interesting are stupid and bad.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that the things being discussed are either of those, really.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nerd Taste != best
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
But Cartman, I like you. I just wouldn't feel right Bertha'ing you into non-existence. Nah, it'd be fun. Let me get my DSL going again and you can feed me some crow and humble pie. Do you prefer Arm or Core?

Clear your conscience. No, really, I would be thrilled if somebody set me up the bomb for once and sent me on the way to destruction with no chance to survive making my time. Honest.

Arm, BTW. For great justice.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And there's a world of difference between "good taste" and "uber-hyper nerd computer crazy". A Sony Vaio is in good taste (or it was a few years ago, I have no idea what it looks like now). One of those (hnng) Macs with the nice big widescreen, er, screens that I saw in Comets the other day is in "good taste". A crazy super computer with day-glo blinky lights that runs 5 billion times faster than it needs to falls in to the "Uber-hyper nerd computer crazy" catagory.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Computers cannot run faster than they need to.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't be pedantic, or I'll bitch-slap you into next week.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps