my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Columbia: 1 year later

Author Topic: Columbia: 1 year later
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been one year since the Columbia disintegrated on re-entry. Not a happy day. I remember my friend saying there was something on the TV, and I sort of shrugged it off until I went over there a few minutes later to see what it was. At first, I thought there was an explosion on the shuttle. That it had landed, and everyone was OK. But then they showed the debris, and it dawned on me: Columbia was no more.

It was a sad day in space history, but hopefully we will never forget the crew of the space shuttle Columbia.

--------------------
Meh

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry for their loss, and I, too, remember waking up last year to find out about the news and later watching reports wondering what went wrong.

However, while we mourn 7 people who died knowing the risks of space travel, let us not forget the countless more who countinue to die everyday.

The world is full of sorrows if you look around.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could we please go one tribute thread without turning it into a political arguement? I already see this one is going to start something.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The world is full of sorrows if you look around."

You don't have to look very far, that's for sure.

And, 359, nobody's forcing you to give equal time here, so whom you pay tribute to is your own business, OK? Just don't command other people who do wish to show their respects on a broader scale to practice the same restraint.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He wasn't commanding. He was pointing out that almost any thread can have someone stick on "But isn't it sad what is happening in Africa/the Middle East/My bedroom" at the end.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bedroom is a sad, sad place.

It's also very messy. I need to clean, or get someone to clean it. I might even call a maid. Or a prostitute. Or better yet, both: I shall call my maid-ho combo "Sigfried" ...

(Kidding, Siggy)

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry to denegrate this thread further... but I read that as maid-hobo combo! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever he can afford.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it's what ISN'T happening in my bedroom that is sad. B)

But fair enough. No politics from me.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's it, NO more anniversary threads from me. Ever.

--------------------
Meh

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to point out that in either case, Iraq or Columbia, the events were preventable. They occured because of judgements arrived at by those in charge. The risks were either judged to be insignificant or unimportant for the sequence of events, as they unfolded, to be halted. It is later, through hindsight and investigation of ourselves and our technology, that we acquire understanding and wisdom. I think the Iraqi conflict, just as the report on Columbia did on space exploration, will help our nation and, perhaps others, in the future so that we can do improvements in the processes of rebuilding a nation after war.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*RRRRRRRRRRRING!* Hang on, let me just get the door. . . It's a courier, he says he has a reality check for a Mr. Lindsly. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NASA has made a thoughtful website to honor Columbia. Recordings of Bush's remarks and full bios of the seven are also presented in an interactive tribute.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps