Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Missing modem sound (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Missing modem sound
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, still no joy with my modem sound [Frown]

Now got a new problem.

My work PC has speakers which I use for all the office and other software sounds. My boss used my log-in the last two days to use some software that he needed and that only I can use.

Got that? Good.

Now, after 15 minutes the little speaker icon in the taskbar turns to the "muted" one (red circle with a line though it). I can't stop this from happening!!!! [Mad] [Mad] The IT guy had no idea how to stop it, he went though all the audio & sound menus and couldn't determine why it suddenly appeared - do any of you guys and gals have a clue as it's really pissing me off now and hinders my work when I don't know that error messages have popped up! [Confused] [Frown]

Thanks in advance! [Smile]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What software did your boss use? What soundcard is in your workstation? And what rights does your log-in have?

But, erh, you do still have eyes with which you can SEE any error messages that pop up, don't you?

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His eyes are busy looking at the results of the dialer on his home computer....

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, forget all that - found the problem.

The left CTRL key has been alloacted by my boss as a shortcut key to "mute" sound.

Question - HOW THE HELL DO I UNDO THIS AS IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!! I can't listen to my music for more than a minute before I mute it out with cut & paste & stuff! [Frown] [Frown] HELP!!!!!!!!

(This is a Windows 2000 shortcut issue, not MS Office as those at work have tried to insist).

Yes I still have eyes, but prefer the sounds.

What's my home dialler got to do with this? [Big Grin] [Confused]

16:15: Oh yeah, how do I get F5 back to "refresh" on Internet Explorer?

16:27: It looks as though somehow my boss or the computer has changed the shortcut keys settings, assigning them to do other things. How can these Windows shortcuts be re-set to defaults or changed manually?

--------------------

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they are Office shortcuts (which would be odd), you'll find them under Tools - Macro - Macros.

If they are Windows shortcuts, you'll find them under Control Panel - Accessibility Options - Keyboard. I think.

If they are third-party shortcuts (which I suspect), you'll have to tell me what programs your workstation executes on startup first.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

akb1979
Member # 557

Programmes in the task bar (not sure if that's what you mean) are:

Ranger v5.0.1.36
Ranger Remote Control Client
InterCheck
English (UK)
Print job billing (some funny program that give us a green pyramid)
The college's LAN
Volume
and occasionally the Windows Update (depending on whether the log-on process IDs me as Admin or not)

Not sure if that's any help. The college has been experiencing a real slow-down on speed and loads of people have had trouble sending e-mails externally. If the above doesn't answer your query, let me know more specifics (please bare in mind that I am limited in what I am authorised to access) and I'll see what I can come up with.

-AK [Big Grin]

--------------------

Cartman
Member # 256

"Ranger Remote Control Client"

THAT's it! The shortcuts are there! Set your course for the Ranger system!

Actually, I don't think any of those are the culprit. Have you looked under Tools - Customize - Keyboard in Office yet?

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And fer chrisake, get rid of those things running down there. Cluttered task bars annoy me no end.

I was suppossed to be fixing that modem sound thing, wasn't I?

*runs away*

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

akb1979
Member # 557

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
And fer chrisake, get rid of those things running down there. Cluttered task bars annoy me no end.

I was suppossed to be fixing that modem sound thing, wasn't I?

*runs away*

Can't - they come with the network
Yes you where! [Mad] [Big Grin]
I'm gonna catch you! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Razz]

--------------------

akb1979
Member # 557

Didn't someone on Flare mention HDD probs? In that there was a click and then the drive was not recognised on bootup? I can't find the discussion on this anywhere (shows how crap my search keyword skills are! [Razz] ) but can anyone:

a) provide a link to the discussion or;

b) provide an answer to the prob?

I think the HDD is shagged - bad sectors & clusters everywhere. Guess that upgrade is gonna happen sooner than I had thought. Anyone like in or near to Ilkeston, Derbyshire who would be willing to help put the bits together for a cool drink and my undying gratitude? [Big Grin]

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was me. I don't feel like looking for it, but just lok for a topic started by me. There aren't many.
akb1979
Member # 557

YAY! Now back on-line after upgrading my PC - 256MB AGP, 120 GB HDD, DVD-RW, 1 GB RAM - YAY!

Me be happy bunny!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But-but how will you be able to operate the monitor with all that white oyster marmalade covering it??? [Confused]

(don't take this post as a sign of me being jealous, I have come to tell you that you are far too removed from reality, in that case.)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, for the last time, classifying graphics cards by their memory is pointless, stupid, and daft. If you're going to brag, then mention the model, as that's the actual relevent bit.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

akb1979
Member # 557

White oyster marmalade? Whaaat?

Model - GeForce FX5200 [Big Grin]

I'm not bragging or anything Nim/PsyLiam, just happy that I have it all! [Big Grin]

PsyLiam - is the model that I've bought good? I mean it will let me play Deus Ex: Invisible War, so I'm happy. [Big Grin] (Plus it's good to be back on the Internet after a week of absense!)

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps