Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Kill Bill: Volume 2 (possible $$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Kill Bill: Volume 2 (possible $$$)
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or KBv2, to revive and old, old joke. [Razz]

Anyway, saw it tonight and wasn't nearly as impacted as by the first one. (Which I absolutely LOVED, for the record.) Actually, I was somewhat disappointed by it. It still had its great moments, though. (Particularly the Bride/Elle fight and Bill's "Superman" monologue, and really most of the stuff between Bill and the Bride towards the end.)

The pacing/editing wasn't as tight as the first installment, and there was much less "ass kicking" as well. I thought the opening was a little weak compared with that of its predecessor, and at least some of the Pai Mei (aka Yoda) was extraneous, though it did tie into the main plot at the end. What were definitely non-essential and non-plot-oriented were Micheal Madsen's early scenes, before *BEEEEEP* (we do learn it in this one though [Wink] ) shows up.

The reviewer in my local paper noted that there's such a different tone to the second part that it's difficult to beleive Tarantino ever seriously considered releasing both volumes as one film. I would agree. Much like the two Matrix sequels, the follow-up depends upon its predecessor but then fails to uphold it satisfactorily.

This is all strictly IMHO, of course, and perhaps I'm being a bit too harsh, but these are my first impressions.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ April 16, 2004, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It premiers next friday in Sweden, I'll get back to you sometime after that.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this and The Punisher on Thursday night.

I really liked both: for diffrent reasons.

Punisher has some of the strangest surreal moments on any vigilante film ever (like being seranaded by a hitman in a diner) and in contrast, Kill Bill II was pretty tame (considring I expected more of the first movie's strangness).
BIll's Superman commentary was great: a whole new perspective.
I liked it though.....more as it's own movie than as the second half of the first one.

$$$$$$$$SPOILERS!$$$$$$$$$$

Best part was how she dealt with Daryl Hanna.
Biggest let-down was how Bud died....although both those scenes were performed very nicely.

Really, I was most impresed with how Tarintino eeked great acting from both Darly Hannah and David Carridine: both usually have the range of plywood.

As to Punisher: go see it for Travolta's performance as a mobster that has his life dismantled by a vigilante with a brain (as opposed to the prior Punisher movie).

If yo go looking for a fun flick, it'll be good to you but if you want to pick something apart: there's plenty of little things that are pure bullshit (like zero traffic in daytime at a drawbridge in downtown Tampa!- or the lack of any police response to shootouts in office buildings, apartment buildings, beachfront property, upscale nightclubs, etc.)

If you're a fan of the comic, the origin is a bit diffrent but at least one great scene is directly from the War Journal comic.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked that the Russian and that pierced boy is in, I wonder if Soap is there too...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I liked the second part just as much as the first.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ambiguity becomes you, Mr. Sizer.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is to say a lot. Honest.
Nim
Member # 205

Hold on, he might actually mean that he liked the first part, and also the second part. [Confused]
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too thought Volume II wasn't quite as good as Volume I. Not because it had less action and gore, but it just seemed off. I really would have much rather have seen it all as one big long movie, since they might have eliminated such useless parts as the anime sequence showing the entire past of O-ren Ishii and like you mentioned, the parts with Bud at the strip club.

Also, for a final fight, it was rather mundane compared to what we had seen before.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. I would have preferred a longer single movie as opposed to a seperate part two. It just didn't have the appeal of the first movie. Granted I went into it with such high expectations because I loved Volume One but it just felt as if we were getting the leftovers.

The build-up to the Bill duel was so huge and ultimately the reality of the fight was mediocre at best.

The live burial was creepy, the alternate take on Superman was inciteful and Tarantino dialogue at it's best, the fight with Elle was excellent, but the movie fell short. I would still recommend it but if your looking for the same kind of over the top martial arts action like the first movie it's not to be found in "Kill Bill: Volume Two".

I also saw "The Punisher" (Kill Bill was sold out Friday night so I had to see it on Sunday) and that was awesome. A very faithful adaptation of the spirit of the comics that completely eliminates the bad stench left by the horrible Dolph Lundgren version. John Travolta is a great bad guy and doesn't go over the top in his "evil guy" delivery as he sometimes tends to do.

The fight against "The Russian" was great and done in a way that made it funny and the very "El Mariache" like assassin was cool as well. I especially liked that there was almost zero CGI in the movie except for one sequence at the very end and in that case the CGI only enhanced the movie.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two complete bullshit moments in both Kill Bill II and The Punisher.

Surviving double barreled shotgun blasts to the chest from point blank range.
Punisher has an obvious kevlar vest that wouldnt have saved him and Uma has....umm..breasts?
Yeah.
Bud says it's rocksalt, but having been shot in the leg once with rocksalt (and at pretty long distance!) I can attest to more than just the "stinging" bud describes.

Both revenge-seekers are back in top form before too long -minutes for Punisher and less than an hour for Uma -she was even bleeding through her leather outfit but still managed to...
...fuck it.

Just a movie, after all.
(deep breaths-happy thoughts)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
....but having been shot in the leg once with rocksalt (and at pretty long distance!) I can attest to more than just the "stinging" bud describes.

Wait, WHAT? You've got to expand on this one. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in why you got shot! [Big Grin]

B.J.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or wether his leg was really the target. B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh come on, do we really have any doubt why he got shot?

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Waaaay back in the day, I ran off (with friends) from *reform school* so I could attend both the Bon Jovi and Iron Maiden concerts that week.

Yes, Bon Jovi...the shame of it.

The school was in a BFE area called The Redlands (kinda far southwest of Miami) and we had to cross many farmer's fields to get to the local gas station and call my friend's sister to pick us up.
Crossing one of these fields we were shot at by some yokel (there were occasional Klan rallys not far from the school and i've always attributedit to some klansman).

I've been told it was just Rocksalt but it ripped a hole in my pantsleg, gave me a pretty deep gash on my calf. I might've only been graze4d by buckshot or something- I dont really know.

My pal Todd got nailed in the shoulder but was only scraped up, so mabe its not lethal, but Uma got two barrells point blank in her chest!

I'd have been out for the count.

That's the only time I've ever actually been stot at (though only one of three times I've had a gun drawn on me).

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps