Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » French War Jokes (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: French War Jokes
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paris is nicer than Newark.
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frankly, if the US had a large border with Germany in the late 30's they would have rolled right over us given our state of preparedness. The UK was saved by the channel, then the RAF.

As for the "you'd be speaking X" debates the proper response from almost any "foreigner" to an American would be " at least I can speak more than just one language".

Speaks three languages = trilingual
Speaks two languages = bilingual
Speaks one language = American

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The funniest thing is that the person that compiled this "jokelist" for posting on MILITARY.COM obviously have no idea or grasp whatsoever of France's current and recent MILITARY condition or quality.
Just the french foreign legion kicked the US Marine's ass up between their shoulders in several trans-atlantic trials and exercises a few years back, they're more singleminded and ferocious than bloody Spetznaz.

Sea Tyger
Member # 1313

- posted      Profile for Sea Tyger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surrender jokes aside (which have been around for a long time), France and the US, as political entities, have been close allies for most of the last two centuries (certain issues in NATO aside, but that's another rant all together).

It's really only been the last few years that there's been a serious rift in Franco-American relations, and it's primarily because of the differences in opinion over the current Iraqi situation.

Further exacerbating the problem were the French economic interests that were tied to the Hussein regime, an issue that made many Americans (and the US goverment) mad.

I'll never completely fault a nation for looking out for its own interests, no matter how much I may disagree with that nation's actions. In this instance, France should have bit the bullet and come in to help out once the major combat was over. They disagreed with the war, that's fine. But the war is over and we're trying to rebuild the nation of Iraq now; it makes no sense to continue to protest an action that has already been completed. Get over it and help us turn Iraq into a strong democratic republic. I'm sure if they offered to help, the US government would accept it. Until then, forgive me if I remain a little miffed at France (and Germany, and Russia).

France helped us gain our sovereignty; we've helped the French regain theirs. I'm quite confident that the US and France will get past this and be allies again (we're already mending fences as it is).

Okay, so that ended up being all over the place. [Roll Eyes] My point is that while sophomoric humor will always be around, I'm willing to bet the majority of Americans, while upset about current French policy, don't hate the French (and really have never hated the French).

Oh, and PsyLiam, my response to that comeback would be, "What, unlike the useless little consonants at the end of yours?" (Meant purely in jest, of course.) [Razz]

--------------------
Davy Jones
your friendly, neighborhood, Navy vet

The United States Navy
Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"But the war is over..."

Officially.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sea Tyger:
Oh, and PsyLiam, my response to that comeback would be, "What, unlike the useless little consonants at the end of yours?"

That'd be the worst comeback ever, though.

Still, I'm sure that France etc are simply dying to send their troops over to the not-a-war-zone-in-anyway-no-one-is-dying-here-at-all land we call Iraq, and have them all die for a war they didn't agree with in the first place. It's just common sense.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Bizarre".

"More 'if it wasn't for us, you'd still be putting useless extra 'u's in your words."

Which is funny, since they're the ones that put those 'u's in there in the first place.

Highway Hoss
Member # 1289

- posted      Profile for Highway Hoss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ease up folks they're just jokes OK? Like no one has ever made fun of the French before? My dad fought in WW2 and he HATED the French more than the Germans...

--------------------
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so? Your dad is ignorant? Okay.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
it makes no sense to continue to protest an action that has already been completed. Get over it and help us turn Iraq into a strong democratic republic. I'm sure if they offered to help, the US government would accept it. Until then, forgive me if I remain a little miffed at France (and Germany, and Russia).
The United States fights and unjustified war. Why the hell should France, Germany and Russia help you clean up the mess? The United States does not have any right to demand help. The only body that can persuade those countries to help is the United Nations. But that would mean that the United States and the United Kingdom would actually have to come up with a convincing argument, and they've never really been very good at that (remember the bullshit Powell slideshow?).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HH: "Ease up folks they're just jokes OK? Like no one has ever made fun of the French before? My dad fought in WW2 and he HATED the French more than the Germans..."

Well bad reason to dust off 50 year old slurs for use in a time were none of the factors that made the jokes viable even exist anymore.

And here I went and gave you the benefit of the doubt. Oh well.

Sea Tyger: "it makes no sense to continue to protest an action that has already been completed."

Great logic, remind me to remind you of that after I've walked into your house and spray-painted all the things in it because I think they were supposed to all have the color red-white-blue. After I've already done it, what's the point in complaining? Instead, you should help me spray some MORE stuff I missed! Come on, be a team player!

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people still think The War and The Aftermath are two unrelated episodes of two unrelated reality shows and that there's no continuity between them at all, or something.

"Like no one has ever made fun of the French before?"

Yes, but:

1) these jokes are old, and
2) they're not funny, and
3) their condescending nationalistic tone is frowned upon here, and
4) they're not funny

So.

Nim
Member # 205

Hm. Cool reverb effect.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Toadkiller:
As for the "you'd be speaking X" debates the proper response from almost any "foreigner" to an American would be " at least I can speak more than just one language".

Speaks three languages = trilingual
Speaks two languages = bilingual
Speaks one language = American

Toadkiller, I realize you're also speaking about yourself with this, but I had to respond.

Most Americans don't have any use for learning a second language. I can drive 1000 miles in any direction and most people still speak English. Sure, I had to take Spanish and a little French in middle and high school (as did most Americans), but that's practially gone from memory since I don't have any opportunities to practice it. Considering that the size of US states are similar to the size of European countries, I'm sure that if every state spoke a different language we'd learn more than one language.

Personally, I'd love to learn Russian or Japanese or German. But since the only place I would have to practice it would be the classroom, there's no way I'd become fluent enough to consider myself bilingual.

B.J.

(P.S. - I thought it was funny. Some people are too PC to take a joke. If you can't poke fun at yourself, what's the point?)

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Highway Hoss:
Ease up folks they're just jokes OK? Like no one has ever made fun of the French before? My dad fought in WW2 and he HATED the French more than the Germans...

You just don't do this in a public forum where anyone (and I mean ANYONE... regardless of race, sex, age, sexual preference, and anything else) can come in here and read this.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps