Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » French War Jokes (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: French War Jokes
Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Magnus:
Okay, so? Your dad is ignorant? Okay.

Funny he mentioned this to me over IM yesterday too. Kind of bugs me. If he hated the French more than the Germans then why was he helping the Allies? [Confused]
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well gosh, probably because he joined up after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, and gosh darn, got sent off to kill some Germans. A soldier does what a soldier's told to do.

These jokes have been told so often since that stupid Freedom-Fry issue that I'm surprised anyone even responded to this thread with anything more than a "Oh, look, jokes that we've all heard fifty-million times in the last year and a half. Thanks for wasting our time."

Really, Hoss, don't let it get you down.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I said I'm only slightly offended by this. In fact I'm over it now. All those "Dumb Texan" jokes I found really helped me get over my anger yes indeed. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jokes do not offend me as i lack respect for all nationalities and creeds equally.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the jokes were mildly amusing the first time you hear them. Unfortunately that was at least 5 years ago. I have no problem taking the piss out of the French, but it's far more amusing to do it about things that are relevant than dragging up jokes from WW2. Or the Napoleonic wars in some cases. Surrendering French jokes are especially unfunny when Americans do them, for obvious reasons.

quote:
Frankly, if the US had a large border with Germany in the late 30's they would have rolled right over us given our state of preparedness.
Doubtful; the US army was pitifully poorly prepared in the late 1930s. Although they didn't really expect to fight a major land war.

quote:
I can drive 1000 miles in any direction and most people still speak English.
Yes, but so could I, probably. Although any direction would have to be substituted for 'East', owing to a distinct lack of 1000 mile stretches of land to the west of the UK...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Frankly, if the US had a large border with Germany in the late 30's they would have rolled right over us given our state of preparedness."

"Doubtful; the US army was pitifully poorly prepared in the late 1930s. Although they didn't really expect to fight a major land war."

Hang on. Didn't you both just say the same thing?

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err.... possibly.

For reasons not entirely clear to me now, I thought Toadkiller was German, and getting into the 'Britain and France should've attacked Germany in 1938 thing. oops....

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Sea Tyger
Member # 1313

- posted      Profile for Sea Tyger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry: Only in some people's opinion is the war unjustified, and that view is likely colored by whether the source supported Bush or Gore in the 2000 election. The "unjustified" war crap is largely a political weapon.

Also, I didn't "demand" that they help. I said that I think they "should" help. Big difference.

Like it or not, we've removed Hussein from power and are trying to install a democratically elected government.

Nim: Your example is valid only in the fact that yes, your screwed up the paint job in my house, and yes, I'm sure as heck going to complain. But how is it productive to keep complaining about the same event a year later?

It's been a year, people! Get over it! Continuing to complain about the US going into Iraq is useless now.

"Your objection has been noted and logged, assuming that I actually cared." -- Kirk

--------------------
Davy Jones
your friendly, neighborhood, Navy vet

The United States Navy
Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"But how is it productive to keep complaining about the same event a year later?"

Because I mustn't be allowed to do it again, duh.
And I didn't mean botching an interior decoration job, I meant breaking into your lofty mansion in the night and smearing everything with paint.

If the whole neighborhood just don't give a damn about whose undies I'm aerosoling with lye, figuring "Yeah, he probably knows what he's doing, he helped me program my VCR a year back", then I can make up my rules as I go.

I gotta read "Animal Farm", all this allegory is making me have to run to the bathroom all the time.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Harry: Only in some people's opinion is the war unjustified, and that view is likely colored by whether the source supported Bush or Gore in the 2000 election. The "unjustified" war crap is largely a political weapon.
France (etc.) thought it was unjustified. You were talking about France (etc.).

quote:
Also, I didn't "demand" that they help. I said that I think they "should" help. Big difference

Ah. You don't even demand, you just expect them to help because you are America?

quote:
Like it or not, we've removed Hussein from power and are trying to install a democratically elected government.
Yes, YOU wanted to do that. A lot of people opposed that decision, and there's no reason why French soldiers would have to die for your war.

quote:
It's been a year, people! Get over it! Continuing to complain about the US going into Iraq is useless now.
This is a CRAP argument. How many times did people warn the US of the complete disaster this would turn into? You screwed the United Nations royally, you started bitching about "Old Europe", and now you expect help just because ... well.. I don't really know why. Give me one good reason why anyone 'should' help the United States in a war they did not support in the first place? As I said, the only body that can foster that support is the United Nations. But it's too late for that, isn't it?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I said that I think they "should" help.

You haven't said why you think that yet.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone is getting moved to the Flameboard.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's been a year, people! Get over it! Continuing to complain about the US going into Iraq is useless now."

The war was wrong. That's been decided. Get over it.

See how the "get over it" arguement doesn't really work?

Besides, to continue Nim's odd analogy, what if he were still in your house a year later, still spending every day throwing paint around? You would have given up complaining by then?

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, not German. Well, ethnically I am, in fact we've a distant relation that was one of the bad guys...

But I digress.

HH - frankly unless France et al come up with a reason - that is in their national interest - to join the ongoing war, then they aren't going to do it. The US blew the "help us 'cause we're allies" card last year. We then cut them out from the alleged spoils of the war after "mission accomplished". So, they are sitting there with no valid treaty obligation and no economic interests. Couple that with adverse public opinion towards military adventuring....

I thought that Saddam should go. I wanted the Taliban out. I am, in many respects, a "hawk". If I was the god-emperor I'd have taken them on prior to 9-11 (all will love me and despair). But I don't blame the countries that haven't joined the fight for staying out of it.

Sits down for the move to the flameboard when Sol wakes up.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Toadkiller:
I thought that Saddam should go. I wanted the Taliban out.

I know this is possibly too stupid a question to ask, but...you think that Saddam is leader of the Taliban?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps