Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Nothing can defeat us now! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Nothing can defeat us now!
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/35/

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AHHHH! BADGERS!

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case by some chance you missed the original. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, you'll win this time. Forget Norway.
Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been meaning to ask, is that the official team patch for england? Three lions on top of eachother? (King George, Edward and Arthur?)
And I thought England's sportscolor was white with a red cross?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea what the lions are for, but yes, that's what the football and cricket teams wear. The rugby lot have the English rose on them.

England's home kits tend to be white. The football one used to be just white with blue shorts, but there is now red on the top too, in a vaguely cross shaped pattern.

The badgers are wearing the away kit. Which is worn when the home team have a kit the same colour as yours, obviously. The away kit is red, and is often considered better, since that's the kit we wore when we won the world cup roughly four centuries ago.

Home kit, worn by sexy Michael Owen.
Away kit, with accompanying scary pictures.

[ June 04, 2004, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: PsyLiam ]

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim the Fanciful:
I've been meaning to ask, is that the official team patch for england? Three lions on top of eachother? (King George, Edward and Arthur?)

The three lions are just the traditional symbol for England, like the thistle is for Scotland and the sheep is for Wales.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thistle is the official flower for Scotland, like the rose is for England. I have no idea why we have multiple symbols though.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh... because prior to the Act of Union in 1707 England and Scotland were seperate countries... (although we'd had the same monarch since the death of Elizabeth I).

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

No, I meant why England has multiple symbols - the rose and the three lions. Other countries don't seem to have that. (Correted a typo in my earlier post).

Isn't the lion the official England animal (or whatever the term is)? Might explain why there are three lions on the badge. And a lion would beat a rubbish eagle any day of the week. Although the Welsh animal would probably win overall. Damnit.

--------------------

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
No, I meant why England has multiple symbols [SNIP]
AFAIK:

The three lions, or possibly leopards, goes back to William the Bastard & that whole Hastings business in 1066.

Edward III quartered them with the French royal arms (three gold fluer de lis on a blue background) in the mid-14th century, to represent his claim to the French throne. This was in use at least until the end of the Hundred Years War.

The rose dates from that little pissing contest between Lancaster and York at the end of the 15th century over which great-great-nephew's cousin of some guy who died of old age a hundred years earlier had a bigger claim to the throne.

AFAIK, the rose never stood for England proper, just for Lancaster (white) and York (red). And then for the short-lived-but-so-entertaining Tudor/Elizabethan dynasty, which came into existance by way of some yahoo nobody marrying the last surviving widow of the above pissing contest, and getting crowned Henry VII. Or some such.

Again, that's AFAIK.

Marian

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Englanders take their "football" weirdly.

"Matches in Which England Wore the 2003 Home White Uniform"

OK!

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are all... weirdos.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Magnus:
Englanders take their "football" weirdly.

"Matches in Which England Wore the 2003 Home White Uniform"

OK!

I never said that the site wasn't run by nerds.

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Psyliam: "The badgers are wearing the away kit. Which is worn when the home team have a kit the same colour as yours, obviously."

Well, obviously.

About differing national symbols, Sweden has both the gryphon (originally the Scanian coat of arms) and the three crowns, Tre Kronor.
Originally a likeness of the three wise men, it came to represent the union of the three states that went together during the 1300's; Sweden, Norway and Scania (Sk�ne).
The gold and blue of our country colors are older, though, stretching back to the 1000-1100's, when the Eriks married to the throne and united the country against the invading danes.

Well, we won and now we buy nice Dell computers through Copenhagen, who get nice percentage, everybody happy.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps