Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Nothing can defeat us now! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Nothing can defeat us now!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...some guy who died of old age a hundred years earlier..."

That would be the same Edward III you mentioned earlier.

"...some yahoo nobody marrying the last surviving widow of the above pissing contest, and getting crowned Henry VII. Or some such."

Well, that, and he offed the previous king.

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by TSN:
quote:
That would be the same Edward III you mentioned earlier.
Actually, I had John of Gaunt in mind, but whatever. [Smile]

quote:
Well, that, and he offed the previous king.
Of course. He couldn't marry the last surviving widow until she was the last surviving widow, right?

And if I recall correctly, she was a widow of both sides, by virtue of two different marriages. But I don't remember who it was. Elizabeth of Woodstock? Not Anne Neville, surely.

Marian

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, he was married to Elizabeth, daughter of Edward IV (sister of Edward V, and niece of Richard III). Henry himself was descended from both Edward III and the widow of Henry V.
MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would not be Elizabeth of Woodstock, then, who was married to Edward IV and therefore unlikely to be his daughter.

Marian

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have to learn this stuff as school, or have you boned up just in case it comes up in a quiz?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, I don't know about her, but I've got a book on the shelf next to me about the history of the British monarchy. I picked it up used for a couple bucks a year or two ago. It makes for good reference material when the subject comes up, I suppose.
MarianLH
Member # 1102

Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Do you have to learn this stuff as school, or have you boned up just in case it comes up in a quiz?
I'm just that cool.

Marian

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well, I don't know about her, but I've got a book on the shelf next to me about the history of the British monarchy. I picked it up used for a couple bucks a year or two ago. It makes for good reference material when the subject comes up, I suppose."

ONCE EVER. GO OUTSIDE.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who doesn't get the badger thing? Or are you not supposed to get it?

--------------------
life creation in progress

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"ONCE EVER. GO OUTSIDE."

Already have done. Next request, please.

"Or are you not supposed to get it?"

I'm not sure that there is anything to get. It's just badgers. They bounce.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First there was the original animation, concerning badgers, snakes and mushrooms. It was very popular. What the animator's motivation was we'll never know. Now, however, he's decided to do a new version in support of England's participation in Euro 2004. It's just a pity Beckham chose not to go from his cornrows to a badger-influenced hairstyle, but just shaved his head instead. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:

I have to learn it in school! Bloody Tudor State exam... I could tell you all about it in excruciating detail. But I can't be arsed.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good, because we couldn't be arsed to read it either. B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

MarianLH
Member # 1102

Originally posted by Wraith:
quote:
I have to learn it in school! Bloody Tudor State exam... I could tell you all about it in excruciating detail. But I can't be arsed.
Well, seeing as how it's Tudor State and all...

[Smile]
Marian

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Good, because we couldn't be arsed to read it either. B)

Well, how lucky our interests coincide...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps