Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » For good or bad... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: For good or bad...
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...we can't stop the future.

From Securityarms.Com;

quote:
The EM pulse rifle is one of many related designs based on the idea of
accelerating a projectile to high-velocities using electromagnetic energy
Unlike a railgun, which requires high input-energy and is based on a
Lorentz-force rail-accelerator, the Pulse Rifle utilizes an inductive
acceleration on a non-magnetic projectile.

In short, the device discharges a capacitor-bank through a magnetic coil
situated directly behind a 1-inch diameter aluminum ring. The brief but
powerful magnetic pulse generates an inductive-current in the ring, which
then accelerates down the barrel at high speed. Information Unlimited is also
testing a more powerful version of this design that fires a conventional
projectile, but the ring has been used in this case because it has more
surface area (and hence is less dangerous) than a smaller projectile is.

The pulse-rifle prototype is powered by 4 AA batteries, and requires about 1
minute to charge between each shot. It fires at about the same velocity as a
BB-gun, and has a much greater efficiency than similar designs tested by the
military. This particular protoype is not considered a weapon due to the low
muzzle velocity and 1-minute charge-time.

-

So now we've got a working BB-gun prototype of a PULSE RIFLE. And IBM (or was it Toshiba?) has a laptop design powered by a fuel cell this year.

At this rate, will we have a caseless, recoil-free 2KM/S muzzle velocity flechette gun in 10-15 years???
WITH A FIRING-STUD INSTEAD OF A TRIGGER (all you "Honor Harrington"-fans), like on the above example???

And the only sound it's likely to produce is the sound barrier being breached, and if you're on the receiving end you won't even hear that before you're dead, ripped apart diagonally from hip to elbow, like a cow between two giant cow-magnets, while some petty little officer called Harkness is stepping over your slumped corpse, moving this way and that towards the prison block, here and there slipping on your guts and lunch and perhaps also liver, happy like a treedog with a celery-bone in his mouth, or a Masadan after a particularily successful *massrape on female prisoners (Never Forget!).

*[sick]

Anyway, I'm worried...

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As if the NRA don't have enough toys to play with...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't hear the bang of a conventional projectile weapon before you're hit either, if that helps. And instead of being gibbed by bullets, you're now fried by high-amperage current. Cleaner way to go, I think.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clean, yeah.
I remember there was a rifle developed 12 years ago already by a joint german/american team, it fired a high-powered wide-beam laser that could permanently burn out the retinas of about a hundred soldiers per shot, within about a hundred meters or so.
The device was discontinued because they discovered it violated human rights and ethics during wartime, and any other time for that matter.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but is receiving an electric shock nastier than being perforated by a hail of bullets? I mean, both are exceedingly unpleasant experiences to go through. How do you in good conscience weigh one method of killing against another and say "this is ethical and that isn't because dying this way is X percent more pleasant than dying that way"? It's really hazy, at least to me, what's humane and what isn't when the end result is the same: death.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Nim
Member # 205

I took that example because it was the closest I could think of regarding hi-tech inventions developed as a fifth generation weapon.

I'm not saying a potential pulse rifle or super-supersonic rail weapon would necessarily be inhumane or cruel, just that the development has gone much faster than I had expected.

Anyway, who's said anything about electrocuting?
This prototype accelerates an inch-wide aluminium ring, making it go ballistic, with further development concentrating on a solid slug in the future.
A taser it ain't, that's so 90's. [Wink]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool.

I mean, not when you shoot people with it. That's bad. But, you know... Science!

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh, wake me up when we get impeller wedges, hyperdrive, Warshawski Sails, and sidewalls.

Seriously that is cool, a viable EM weapon. Wow.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost looks like the lasers from "The Cage" at first glance.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
more like the communicator from "The Cage"

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
more like the cage from "The Communicator"

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait. So the ring accelerates all the way down the barrel? The barrel's about as long as Manticore's, erm, attention span. If it can accelerate to BB velocity in a thumbspan, what happens when you give it a meter?
Nim
Member # 205

And a solid power cable or car battery (like with Gatling guns) instead of four little AA batteries?

You see what I mean now?

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

How do you sleep at night?

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Soundly, thank you. Why?
This is a forum, little cynic. We discuss things here. Hypothetically and not. This invention doesn't concern me directly, but development vs demand is a fickle thing and satisfying to discuss. What I say here, I say for the sake of conversation.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps