Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » For good or bad... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: For good or bad...
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
omg what if like they made it a really big gun and shot a guy in the face with it?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He'd die.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you don't think that further development of incredibly lethal weapons is cool and were just making conversation?

I am sorely disapointed in you, Nim.

I want one of these soooo bad.
Car mounted and rapid fire.

Though, from a design POV, I wish they'd just design it to accelerate a penny to balistic speeds.
Think of the time, money and availability advantages in that alone.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason: "So you don't think that further development of incredibly lethal weapons is cool and were just making conversation?
I am sorely disapointed in you, Nim."

Read my post again. Stretch out with your feelings. Especially "satisfying to discuss" and "What I say here, I say for the sake of conversation".

Then check out my thread in Gen. Sci-Fi about the XM-8 future US battle rifle.

Shit, Harold, I expect more from you.

About ballistic speeds, has any gun managed to fire a shell out into space?
I seem to remember a fleeting comment on that in that "Doomsday Gun" movie with Frank Langella and Kevin Spacey.
Anyway, this technology would probably get priority on naval vessels or attack aircraft, bigger scale.
Which reminds me of those EMP-bombs the US dropped on Bagdhad in the last campaign. How large an area did they affect?

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what do you want to discuss? It's a different but not radically new way of accelerating a projectile to ludicrous speed, which means the technology will probably wind up in military applications where such speeds are a plus, which means a reciprocal of the technology will probably wind up in military applications where they aren't. That is the order of things.

And to shoot a shell into orbit you would need 1) a really really really high amount of energy and 2) a really really really long barrel so it could attain minimum escape velocity plus however much extra speed your shell would lose due to friction and gravity on the short trip spaceward. I don't think such Big Bertha guns exist anywhere but in the minds of crazed mechanical engineers. So far.

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saddam was trying to build one once, IIRC, though I saw it on Discovery Channel, so take it with as much salt as you like.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
[QBThough, from a design POV, I wish they'd just design it to accelerate a penny to balistic speeds.
Think of the time, money and availability advantages in that alone. [/QB]

You ought to watch "Mythbusters" on Discovery. They made a penny gun out of a staple gun. Made a nice impression on the cement they fired it at.

B.J.

(And I still don't think they busted the chicken cannon myth.)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cartman: "Well, what do you want to discuss?"

For starters, the phenomenon behind this new type of gun. An inductive acceleration on a non-magnetic projectile? Generating an inductive-current in the object?
And what about that older concept? A railgun based on a Lorentz-force rail-accelerator? Is that viable or in use today?
Also, back to my earlier question, are the EMP-bombs (that were used in the last Iraqi war) using the same technology as this pulse rifle concept?

Imagine the Next Gen MBT, with fuel-cell powered engines, one of those new electro-shields burning up incoming RPG-7 rockets, and a main pulse gun flinging away titanium projectiles at extreme velocities, without the bang and smoke, nor much of a recoil, and quick follow-up shots due to a semi-auto slaved, personless turret?

This is what I'm talking about. Perhaps now U C, Jason.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Induction occurs in all electrical conductors, not just magnetic ones. And aluminum just so happens to have VERY GOOD electrical conductivity. So when the stuff is exposed a magnetic field, it's electrified (negatively charged). But the coil inducing the current is ALSO negatively charged, so both charges repel each other and the ring careens down the barrel with equal force. That's why the coil has to be in close proximity to the ring and why the field has to be brief and intense, or the acceleration would be agonizingly (uselessly) slow.

EMP bombs just dump as much current through a coil as possible during detonation to fry every semiconductor within their blast radius. Same principle (induction), different application.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must. Own.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps