Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » No, of course I have no backup! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: No, of course I have no backup!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has it got a PCI Express slot on it? (Is that even available yet?)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Slots
� One AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port) 1.5V 4x/8x slot
� Five PCI 2.2 32-bit Master PCI Bus slots. (support 3.3v / 5v PCI bus interface)

So, no.

And there are some boards with PCI-E (which, if you're wondering, is not the same as PCI-X) slots out already, but they're still very very pricey and, since there are no PCI-E video cards yet and today's fastest AGP cards don't even max out the AGP bus, also very very pointless to buy. Plus, Tim is a big fat cheapskate, so he wouldn't have bought one anyway.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the hell are computers even about? Mine is loud. I wish I could stick some cotton batting into it to shut it up.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buy a quieter fan/PSU.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I DON"T EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT IS, OR HOW>
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fan: a motorized device with a circular series of blades which spin, creating a flow of air.

How: transport yourself to an appropriate retail store and exchange currency for desired goods.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would entail going outside, though.

OUTSIDE. LIKE WITH SUNSHINE AND PEOPLE AND STUFF. RRR.

Member # 239

What is a PSU?

HOW DO FANS MAKE QUIET?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Power supply. That thing you plug the power cable into. Buy one that's advertised as being quiet, and that's powerful enough for your computer. Unscrew the old one, take it out, screw in the new one.

Actually, get someone else to do it. Someone clever and sexy. Called Liam. Pay for him to go there. Buy him a plane.

--------------------

Member # 239

That would cause you to be near me.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And inhale all that turnip-free breath! York! (phunnie word)

My Dell 8200 was quiet as a mouse when I got it, you didn't even know it was on unless you looked at the HD dioda. But then I bought the first-generation GeForce4-card, whose fan later was revoked and rebuilt by Nvidia (not mine)...

After I had installed it, the comp sounded like a miniature jet engine. *WEEEEEEEEE!!!*
Still does...

(*this can be taken as meaning that the computer sounds happy and euforic. Such is not the case.)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Well, that's your fault for buying a first generation GeForce 4 card, isn't it? Couldn't you tell by looking at it that the fan would be loud enough to wake the dead?

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laff all you want, I've gotten three good years out of this card and it's still going, no point in trading up a 128RAM-card for a, um, *checks Nvidia/ATI* 128RAM-card.
That's one of the benefits of buying the first version of a new family of tech-thingies, whatever type of machinery it is.
The intermediaries are never as boosting as the next BIG thing, and the last one.

1992: 14" screen -> 15" screen *Wow!*

1995: 15" -> 17" *WHOAH!*

1998: 17" -> 19" *Nice.*

2003: 19" -> 21" *Well...bigger.*

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

But on the negative side, you pay a hefty price premium, and miss out on them correcting all the errors in the second round of cards.

And the amount of memory that a card has really isn't that relevent. You could buy a GeForce IV MX with 128mb of memory, or a top of the range GeForce FX with the same amount. Doesn't meant that the cards are even close to each other in terms of performance.

--------------------

Member # 239

IT'S JUST LIKE COMPUTAHS!!!

(Read with a New Yawktype axscent.)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps