Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Obligatory Annual Post (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Obligatory Annual Post
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Can't you all just say UNIVERSITY!?!

Not all colleges are universities.

B.J.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, but mine is.

*would, btw, prefer to be grapplered than tractor-beamed, but that's okay too*

I really should stop by more often...

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
quote:

B.J.

Some colleges grow up to be universities.

Im my home-grown normal U.S. public university, we always had finals the last week of April and went back the week before Labor Day...which I think has changed this year to after Labor Day. So I'm not sure why everyone thinks Tophers schedule is so wacky.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since i know people are going to say, who the fuck is PW, "Who the fuck shot Snoopy ?

*walks away to watch Macross Zero Episode three again. Go, go, go Destroid Cheyenne! oh crap! Ivanov wastes him in the end. nice try.*

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMFG, ROFLAO!

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
quote:

B.J.

Some colleges grow up to be universities.

Oh is this when years 11 and 12 are considered 'college' before tertiary education at University?

Then at uni they have 'colleges' - i.e. the dorms.

Then some secondary schools call themselves colleges.

Gah.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really depends on where you are as to what the exact definition of college and university is. In Georgia, where I earned my degree, a university offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees. A college offers only undergraduate degrees. This is a very simplified explanation, though, and other university systems may be different. Also, the colleges that make up a university are not quite the same as the definition above.

B.J.

(Is your head spinning yet?)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:
OMFG, ROFLAO!

Absolutely not.

Aside: We get four months off! Even film students, so the year is 100% Lazy.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Around these parts, the university school year runs from September-December, a Christmas break, then January-April. A university is an educational institution that offers bachelor's, master's, and doctorate degrees, which all take at least 4 years. A college is generally defined as an institution wherein you get a degree in something in about 2 years or so. Usually more specialized.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats is exactly here. There are of course exceptions to that as well. There is a christian college here in town that is moreless private (read: expensive as hell) and they have as many 4-year programs as the pubilic university I attended. Speaking of which, if a number of colleges merge or if just a small college in general grows to a large enough enrollment they will become a university. In michigan in the '60s a number of junior and community colleges were established. Some are still community colleges, others have blossumed into Division II Universities.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here, college is something you go to between the ages of 16 and 18, and is where you get "further education".

University is usually 18-21/22, gets you a degree, and is where you get "higher education".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could explain every layer of our immensely deep educational system, but I'd be here all night, and you'd just be jealous of it anyway.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Here, college is something you go to between the ages of 16 and 18, and is where you get "further education".

University is usually 18-21/22, gets you a degree, and is where you get "higher education".

Over here, here is not there.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, duh. It's not my fault that you have to "big up" your education system. I mean, a graduation ceremony just for finishing school? Wuses.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps