Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Help! Missing Kazaa .DAT file (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Help! Missing Kazaa .DAT file
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you might gather from the topic title, when I turned my PC on this morning I found that on of the files I was downloading last night has totally vanished. I know for a fact that the partial file was there late night since I opened it with AVI preview and it was in no danger of being completed (about 10% complete).
Now the computer did get a little funky and had to be restarted last night so I think that might have something to do with it, but I don't know what. I've checked the recycle bin just in case and run a search on the hard drive to no avail, I vaguely recall the scandisk saying something about truncating files during the restart but it flashed by so fast I didn't get a chance to really see what it was all about.
This has really naffed me off since it's taken me a week just to download this much and I'd really appreciate it if anyone here can suggest what might have happened and how to get my file back.
Cheers.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if the file doesn't automatically spring back in "Traffic" it has been dropped, you have to track down the host carrying it again.

Personally, my advice would be to just uninsrall Kazaa and reinstall it, the latest version. Or Kazaa-lite, I hear it's good, less RAM-thirsty.

Your Scandisk has opinions about your comp at every startup?
Sounds like your comp needs some R&R.

Also, what kind of connection do you have if it takes you a week to download? ISDN?
Or, perhaps more vital, what are you downloading? Televised operas? Satellite photos of the northern hemisphere?

In that case, I can recommend "Othello" and "Alaska", in said order. They're very nice.

I cancel every download over 500Mb that gets a download speed of less than 100K/S. I hate having to keep the computer on while sleeping, it makes me uncomfortable with its noise.

I broke that rule yesterday, when downloading Part 2 of 2 of Van Wilder (hey, that colon-blow scene is the funny) and the download stayed at a steady 60K/S, with 4 more hours to go.
So I let the computer be, went to bed. I woke up the next day, went to the bathroom and then the kitchen, so as not to jinx it, and when I finally turned on the monitor, that goddamn file had jumped down to 0.68K/S during the night, it still had 3 hours 50 mins to go.

So none of that shit again.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well if the file doesn't automatically spring back in "Traffic" it has been dropped, you have to track down the host carrying it again.
That's never happened to me before, usually it just stays on "more soures needed" or "Remotely queued" until it picks up a connection (which sometimes takes weeks.)

quote:
Personally, my advice would be to just uninsrall Kazaa and reinstall it, the latest version. Or Kazaa-lite, I hear it's good, less RAM-thirsty.
I'm running Kazaa Lite K++ 2.4.3, which I'm pretty sure is the newest version going.

quote:
Your Scandisk has opinions about your comp at every startup?
Sounds like your comp needs some R&R.

Only when it freezes on me and I have to hit the restart button.

quote:
Also, what kind of connection do you have if it takes you a week to download? ISDN?
Or, perhaps more vital, what are you downloading? Televised operas? Satellite photos of the northern hemisphere?

A 56K modem. There is no broadband where I live, that I'm aware of.
Plus the computer isn't on all the time, more often than not I can only trust it to be on for a few hours at a time, unattended. (I got a nasty phone bill a few months back which I think was caused by a dialer that found it's way onto my machine somehow.)

I'm actually downloading episodes of Justice League, if you must know. [Razz]

quote:
I cancel every download over 500Mb that gets a download speed of less than 100K/S. I hate having to keep the computer on while sleeping, it makes me uncomfortable with its noise.

I broke that rule yesterday, when downloading Part 2 of 2 of Van Wilder (hey, that colon-blow scene is the funny) and the download stayed at a steady 60K/S, with 4 more hours to go.
So I let the computer be, went to bed. I woke up the next day, went to the bathroom and then the kitchen, so as not to jinx it, and when I finally turned on the monitor, that goddamn file had jumped down to 0.68K/S during the night, it still had 3 hours 50 mins to go.

The best speed I ever got out of this thing was 10Kbs, and that was only for about two minutes!
It averages around 1.6 usually.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do you people have broadband? My top is at the most 4kbps. atm it's 0.5!

Sucks while trying to download these final few Enterprise episodes... (400MB). I'm using Dial-up of course.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, usually my speed centers around 10-20Kb/s, and that's okay for small things like Movie Sounds or songs, but if I'm lucky and there's a user from Stockholm with the same connection as I, I can get a speed between 50-100Kb. That only happens once every 30 downloads or so.

Reverend: Your Kazaalite is good and I'm glad to hear it just burps when there's a lockup.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't bother with those ~400MB .mpg files, as their image quality is shit. Download only the ~80MB divx5's or the ~350MB HDTV rips.

Anyway, Scandisk leaves truncated data in the root directory of your drive (X:\) with names like filexxxx.chk, so rename a few to .avi (or whatever the extension was) and see if MediaPlayer will swallow them.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Ok, I think it's toast.
From the help file -->
Kazaa Lite deletes my dat files

When your computer crashes or shuts down due to power failure, it can happen that some of your partial downloads (.dat files) get corrupted. If the part where all the essential details of the file (name, hash, checksum, size, sources) are stored gets messed up, then Kazaa Lite is not able to resume the file. Once Kazaa Lite encounters such a broken file, it will delete the file.

Crashes are often hardware related (wrong/old drivers, incompatibilities between hardware). So make sure all your drivers are up-to-date. Also keep your software up-to-date. A stable Operating System such as Windows 2000 or XP can help a lot to prevent crashes.

Otherwise there is no other solution than making backups of big dat files once in a while, so that you don't have to start the download all over again.

Looks like I'll have to start again. Bugger.
On the bright side it was a new episode when I started the download last week so there should be more souces to download from by now.
Not that I ever seam to get to use more than 2 sources at a time, even when the search lists something like 12 users that have the file. Grr.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim the Fanciful:

In that case, I can recommend "Othello" and "Alaska", in said order. They're very nice.

Enlighten me please (privately if Charles finds this discussion of copyright circumvention worrisome).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

I won't fly offtopic for long to answer that.
"Othello" is Giuseppe Verdi's opera version of Shakespeare's play with the same name, and "Alaska" is a nice, sprawling piece of land in the northern hemisphere. Both are nice to look at.
Other nice operas; "The Barber in Sevilla", "Comes the turnip" and of course "Carmen", although the last one isn't as easily appreciated as it is famous, not necessarily recommended for first-timers. "Barber" I can recommend, though.
Other nice landstrips on the northern hemisphere; Nova Scotia, Iceland, Sweden, Oceania.

Cartman: I shall take your advice to heart.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And don't cancel your downloads just because they're momentarily slow. Right-clicking on them and polishing the "find more sources" knob every hour or so helps a lot. And you don't have to keep your computer on while sleeping either. Just close KL and turn it off and resume downloading the next day. And eat your turnips.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim the Fanciful:
I won't fly offtopic for long to answer that.
"Othello" is Giuseppe Verdi's opera version of Shakespeare's play with the same name, and "Alaska" is a nice, sprawling piece of land in the northern hemisphere. Both are nice to look at.
Other nice operas; "The Barber in Sevilla", "Comes the turnip" and of course "Carmen", although the last one isn't as easily appreciated as it is famous, not necessarily recommended for first-timers. "Barber" I can recommend, though.
Other nice landstrips on the northern hemisphere; Nova Scotia, Iceland, Sweden, Oceania.

Well, not Sweden: They're a buncha marys. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Don't bother with those ~400MB .mpg files, as their image quality is shit. Download only the ~80MB divx5's or the ~350MB HDTV rips.

Yeah I got "The Forgotten" in 350MB HDTV - was nice - but the sound unsynched everynow and then. For the sake of 50MB though...

The 80MB are watchable - but barely so.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
350MB on dial-up?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Nim
Member # 205

Jason: "Well, not Sweden: They're a buncha marys. *Hahaha-Snort-snort-snort-haha*"

In the history of Flare, I don't think anyone has been this low on material.
Take a few days off, read some books by Jerome K. Jerome (I recommend "Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow"), maybe jog to the next state, then we can all enjoy being smeared by some of your newfound sarcasm and irony.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, you reccomend Nova Scotia but not New Brunswick? NB is so much better than NS [Razz]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps