Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I GIVE UP! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I GIVE UP!
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PsyLiam:
In Windows, its pretty much standard operating procedure to give everyone who uses the computer an account in the "Administrator" group. That way anyone can install spyware, run odd programs, etc.
By default, the account you login to probably has local Administrator powers.

In Linux (or Unix for that matter), even if you're the person "in charge" the standard operating procedure is to login as a user. However, the idea is you should have to explicitly enter the root password in order to do anything that can potentially muck up the computer.
Furthermore, you should never login to a Unix machine as root unless you're setting up the computer for the first time or if its a dire emergency.

Its just a different design philosophy and one that happens to be really nice in terms of security.

Now, Windows does theoretically does allow the use of non-Administrator accounts, but its not as secure and its certainly not as usable because you have to relogon to an Administrator account everytime you want to do something important.

*breathe*

More clear?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"DO NOT SHUT DOWN AUTO-UPDATE. Those updates you get are actually good for things like protecting you from worms and thus not crippling any network you're on should someone else get one."

Erm... You do know that you can run Windows Update manually, don't you?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True. But lot's of people don't, judging by how widespread the MS Blaster worm was last year. It's the sort of thing that I'm glad MS has left on my default. Those who want to go there manually can, while the masses just get on with using their computer without having to worry about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Now, Windows does theoretically does allow the use of non-Administrator accounts, but its not as secure and its certainly not as usable because you have to relogon to an Administrator account everytime you want to do something important.

Nope, still not seeing the difference. If you're in a non-Admin account in Windows and want to do Admin stuff, you have to re-login as an admin. To do important stuff in Linux, you have to enter in the Very Important Password.

Considering that it takes roughly 5 seconds to log off or switch users using XP, I fail to see how it's so much more amazingly great to do it the Linux way as oppossed to creating an admin account for yourself, passwording it, and making everyone else use a User account.

I can't see how the Linux one is more secure, because in both cases, you have to know the admin password to mess things up. Unless the person hasn't set one up on their Windows installation. But it strikes me as being the sort of situation where people who need them will set them up, and people who won't...won't. I certainly wouldn't want to have to enter a password everytime I want to do something on my machine, since I'm the only one that uses it.

The only reason why the Linux one seems to be "more secure" is that people who use Linux are going to be the sort of people who would set up passwords in the first place.

Does that mean you have to enter a password in Linux everytime a web-site wants to put a cookie on your computer, or you want to change the resolution, or stuff like that?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Nope, still not seeing the difference. If you're in a non-Admin account in Windows and want to do Admin stuff, you have to re-login as an admin. To do important stuff in Linux, you have to enter in the Very Important Password.

Considering that it takes roughly 5 seconds to log off or switch users using XP, I fail to see how it's so much more amazingly great to do it the Linux way as oppossed to creating an admin account for yourself, passwording it, and making everyone else use a User account.

5 seconds is a big exaggeration, especially when people have older machines. Plus its a big pain in the ass. You have to close all your programs, interupt your work, even turn off Winamp. Plus its switching a profile twice.

In reality, I'm running a dual-boot machine. I usually login to Linux in a non-root account, I login to Windows in the Administrator account. There's a reason why.

quote:
But it strikes me as being the sort of situation where people who need them will set them up, and people who won't...won't. I certainly wouldn't want to have to enter a password everytime I want to do something on my machine, since I'm the only one that uses it.
*shrug* I did note specificially that the idea had more appeal when setting up computers for other people who muck up computers a lot. (i.e. parents, siblings)

quote:
Does that mean you have to enter a password in Linux everytime a web-site wants to put a cookie on your computer, or you want to change the resolution, or stuff like that?
Uh no, web browser != OS.

Resolution is profile-dependent, which is probably the case in Windows as well.

Off the top of my head a few examples would be installing software for everyone on the computer (as opposed to just your own profile), upgrading the kernel, and well messing around with other people's profiles.

PS: I just noticed, did you say that you were running a Windows install with *no* Administrator password at all?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Why?

quote:
You have to close all your programs, interupt your work, even turn off Winamp. Plus its switching a profile twice.
Well, not if you use "switch user" rather than "log off". Which requires a bit of memory, but who doesn't have ridiculous amounts of memory nowadays?

And if someone else is going to use the computer, surely you'd have to turn off winamp and interupt your work anyway?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps