Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » WWII aircraft engines

Author Topic: WWII aircraft engines
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have noticed over time that most WWII naval aircraft were designed with radial engines, while most land-based aircraft were designed with inline engines. I have never heard, nor can I find, any explanation for this. There has to be some sort of reason for this fairly obvious design departure, but I can't find it. Anyone here have any clues?

Thanks,
B.J.

(BTW - I'm not going to join a more appropriate message board just to ask this question.)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe because radial engines could better absorb the impact of landing on a carrier ... ?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it has to do with ease of maintainance and storage of stuff- radial engines don't need coolent and with the limited space on a carrier. Also most USN carriers were deployed to the Pacific and the aircraft designs reflect this. Radial engines are a lot less vulnerable to overheating; a stray shot can't disable the cooling system.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See this.

quote:
The debate about the merits of the radial vs. the inline continued throughout the 1930's, with both types seeing at least some use. The radial tended to be more popular largely due to its simplicity, and most navy air arms had dedicated themselves to the radial because of its improved reliability (very important when flying over water) and lighter weight (for carrier takeoffs).

In the mid-1930s a new generation of highly streamlined high-speed aircraft appeared, along with more powerful inline engines like the Rolls Royce Merlin and Daimler-Benz DB 601. This re-opened the debate anew, with the needs of streamlining often winning out. However the Focke-Wulf Fw-190 showed that a radial engine fighter could compete with the best of the inlines, given a proper installation. From that point on many new designs used radials, and after the war the inlines quickly disappeared from the now-smaller aircraft market.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Radial Engines were generally more reliable. Which is a good thing over the ocean... and had more power and torque to lift the planes off the carrier (or landing strip on very small islands...

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well both the Spitfire and the Mustang are inlines, right?
But the fastest propeller-driven fighter ever built was the F8F BearCat (420 knots IIRC), which used a radial engine.

Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

- posted      Profile for Neutrino 123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sptifire and Mustang were definatly inline. A notable late-war rotary is the F4U Corsair. This was argueably the best mass-produced figher of the war.

After the war in the military market, most of the new production of fighters shifted to jets. The inline P-51s were used in the ground attack role in Korea, though.

--------------------
Neutrino 123 (pronounced Neutrino One-Two-Three)

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neutrino 123:
The Sptifire and Mustang were definatly inline. A notable late-war rotary is the F4U Corsair. This was argueably the best mass-produced figher of the war.

After the war in the military market, most of the new production of fighters shifted to jets. The inline P-51s were used in the ground attack role in Korea, though.

Slight correction, the Corsair used a radial engine, not a rotary.

In the end though, as far as propeller driven war planes go, the radial engine lasted. The last of the propeller driven attack planes, the A-1 Skyraider, which saw action in Vietnam, used a radial engine.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

- posted      Profile for Neutrino 123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I meant to say radial, but I have recently conducted a study of WWI rotary engines causing me to type 'rotary'.

The B-36 didn't use a radial engine. After WWII, though, the number of new frontline planes with propellors greatly declined. Can it really be said that radial engines dominated with such a small sample size? Maybe the article was refering to civilian designs.

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

quote:
Sorry, I meant to say radial, but I have recently conducted a study of WWI rotary engines causing me to type 'rotary'.
I thought as much which is why I didn't make my post snarky. [Smile]

But I do have a question:

quote:
The B-36 didn't use a radial engine.
Where is the B-36 mentioned in the above posts?

Even though war planes is a category large enough to encompasses bombers, my comment about the A-1 and radial engines was meant to be narrow, aimed only for fighter/attack aircraft. I understand the phase-out of radial engine in the majority of propeller driven aircraft, and yet, the last great propeller driven fighter/attack plane, the A-1, used a radial engine.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

The B-36 was just an example of a post-war design with an inline engine.

Also, the A-1 was never a fighter (though I remember reading they actually got a couple of Mig-17s!). It was an attack plane, hence the 'A'. [Wink]

What I am saying, is that just because a radial engine military plane remained in service past inline ones, a general statement can't be made about radial engines being superior to inline ones post-WWII (though I suppose to determine this conclusivly civilian aircraft would have to be examined, and I am not familiar with many of them).

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Skyraider. Yeah, I like theuse, theuse are ceul.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps