Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Comp Speakers Help (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Comp Speakers Help
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My speakers aren't working. They worked fine last night, to play BF1942 and WinAmp. Today - nothing! Nada, zilch, zoopy-doopy-doo. No system sounds, no in-game sounds, no music. [Frown]

I've checked all the connections - they're fine. Everything is plugged in, all the settings (as best as I can tell) are a-okay, too. Did my speakers just fry out?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once again, I'm forced to assume that I'm talking to an idiot, but...

Have you tried another set of speakers?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's not like computer speakers are so expensive. I'm sure you can forego a lunch at McD's or Burger King or Carl's Jr. or wherever for a set of new speakers.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On PsyLiam's note, have you tried plugging the speakers into something other than a computer, i.e. a walkman?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Once again, I'm forced to assume that I'm talking to an idiot, but...
All the years I've posted here, and you have to assume that ... ?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See to it that your headphones aren't connected at the same time, maybe in some hard-to-see USB-port.

My computer has two USB-ports in the rear and two in the front, under the power button.
Sometimes I've had the headphones connected at the front and the speakers put on the soundcard.

I had a pair of speakers at my office comp that insisted on reversing the stereo when I played CS with my co-workers, making me look the opposite direction when a guy is just coming around a corner, to shoot me dead and stough.

Also, your power adapter to the speakers might be burnt-out or has slipped out of the wall socket of itself, like flaccid thingie after mission complete. *schlick*

Also, your main System Sound Level might be awry (I've been waiting years to use that word), some games or programs can change the sound level automatically.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a very odd USB set-up, Nim. Every computer I've seen has either had two 1.1 ports at the back, or four 2.0 ports at the back and two at the front. Hmm.

You can flip the stereo pretty easily on most speakers. Game's often have the option themselves, and if not Control Panel is quite likely to have it.

So, er, Jeff...HAVE you tried another set of speakers in there? Surely you can borrow a pair for 5 minutes? Or plug in a pair of headphones, or something.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I have another pair of speakers from my last computer, probably won't have a chance to hook 'em in until Monday ... gotta love 85 hour work weeks ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And gotta love Pizza!

Psyliam: That particular computer and CS didn't respond to my changing the stereo-settings, it kept a reverse ingame stereo no matter what I did, forcing me to wear my headphones backwards.

As for my USB getup, it's standard on Dell Dimensions since 2000. Only the new ones have six in the back and two in the front.

[ June 19, 2004, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: Nim the Fanciful ]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Ok. I threw my old pair of speakers on there. I can hear sounds now - BARELY. Even with winamps audio all the way up, I have to hold the speakers to my ears. I plugged my new ones back in - nada! So, here we go once again to look at the settings and what not! [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Hmm. Don't quite know what I did, but I completely undid my speakers and sub-woofer, and replugged 'em all in ...

... and now they're working!

Hoorah!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if it's acting up with other speakers, it sounds like the speakers may not be the problem. However, since it's working at least a little with the other speakers and not at all with the originals, I'd try plugging them into something else, just to be sure they aren't a problem, also.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

But, it's okay, because they're all working!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they apparently weren't when I started typing.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

But they were when you hit "post", and that is all that matters, now isn't it? Yes.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps