Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » SpaceShip One Makes First Suborbital Flight (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: SpaceShip One Makes First Suborbital Flight
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Article Here

Yay.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good news.

--------------------
Meh

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yippee. *blows partywhistle*

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no one has posted an exclamation mark yet.

!

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
!!
WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But were Geordi and Riker aboard? Oh wait, the warp engines come later.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm happy it's being done, but I'm not happy in the method. SS1 came out of nowhere a couple years ago, and basically left all the much longer-running and public programs sitting in the dust - including the Canadian teams, which were out in front at the time. Some people are saying that the financier is bascially just throwing money at it to get it done first. Articles have revealed that the program has cost $20M, while the X Prize itself is worth $10M.

Bleh.

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard about this project on NPR last week, I think, and then they had a piece on the successful flight. I guess I don't know enough about the funding methods to have an opinion, though I know the co-founder of Mike Roe Soft is bankrolling it.

I think it's really cool. The description of the flight from the pilot on the radio sounded really really cool.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark: To be fair, they did keep it under wraps for a long time before they went public. And if anyone can do this (and did!), it would be Burt Rutan. As for the prize money, it's been pointed out that these teams aren't in it for the money. If you can't understand why, then you obviously shouldn't be in the competition. For a comparison, I read an article today about the prize Lindbergh collected after crossing the Atlantic. He spent $15K to win a $25K prize, which is the equivalent of spending $163K today to win $271K. He wasn't in it for the money, either.

B.J.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
I'm happy it's being done, but I'm not happy in the method. SS1 came out of nowhere a couple years ago, and basically left all the much longer-running and public programs sitting in the dust - including the Canadian teams, which were out in front at the time. Some people are saying that the financier is bascially just throwing money at it to get it done first. Articles have revealed that the program has cost $20M, while the X Prize itself is worth $10M.

Bleh.

Mark

Consider it a $10M kick in the ass to start a real space race.

Companies often spend more on just advertising of a new product with no direct results.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

I understand it isn't about the money. What I'm trying to get at is that everyone ELSE was following along the lines of doing it slow, cheaper, and very publically. Then suddenly a new guy comes out of nowhere (at least in the public eye) and does it relatively quickly. I don't think the other guys were looking to spend well over the $10M prize purse in order to do it - wasn't the point of the prize amount to be able to do it for about that amount of money anyway?

Mark <--- was a fan of the Canadian Arrow, at least...

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm sorry the "Canadians are supposed to win" clause was somehow overlooked.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canadians: When will you learn?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, that sounded way more snarky than I meant it to.

But I guess I'm at a loss. The whole point of the X-Prize was to encourage private sector competition, and that's exactly what happened.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Snarky fun!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps