Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » SpaceShip One Makes First Suborbital Flight (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: SpaceShip One Makes First Suborbital Flight
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On another note, SS1 is rather ugly. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know...I think it sort of has a neat retro look. But that paint job is a bit of a horror.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Retro? For something to be "retro", doesn't there have to have been something else that looked like it before?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the opposite in fact. It has to look like something that existed before - or be reminiscent, in terms of design features, of previous artefacts.

That said, I haven't actually seen a picture of this craft to tell if it deserves an adjective like "retro."

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you could always clicky the linky.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? A historic event like this and you haven't seen the craft that made it possible yet? Oh, what is this world coming to?

--------------------
Meh

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"No, the opposite in fact. It has to look like something that existed before..."

Erm... That's the same as what I said, only with the words rearranged.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, actually, you didn't. You said "something else that looked like it before." That implies the entire design is reminiscent of a previous design, which it isn't, and isn't necessarily a definition of "retro" either."

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
relating to; reviving; or being the styles or the fashions of the past. nostalgic.

it has the Stratofortress...or late 40s-50s sci-fi look to it...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't say I was surprised when I heard Rutan was behind it. I was very disappointed, though, to find out his design isn't a single-stage vehicle. More piggyback on a jet crap. Boo!

I miss the Clipper. [Frown]

Marian

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the last picture, it *does* look like an otter with wings.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Lee: I said that there had to be something old that looked like the new thing. You're saying that the new thing has to look like something old. Those are the same. "Looking like" is commutative. If A looks like B, then B looks like A.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the Bell X-1. Only carbon-fiber composites. And with a gay paint-job. And a bunch of circular windows. And tiny reaction control thrusters. And a totally different wing and tail assembly. But, you know... other than that, just like the Bell X-1.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmmmm, commutative.....I guess its associative too. Mmmm...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

If (A looks like B) looks like C, then A looks like (B looks like C)? I don't think that works. It's transitive, though, if that helps.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps