Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The Permanent Body Art Conundrum... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Permanent Body Art Conundrum...
Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so here's the deal. I'm asking all you forum people a question. Have you ever gotten a tatoo? Do you ever WANT to get a tatoo?.. What do you think about tatoos in general?

'Cause I have decided that I want to get a tatto of a purple butterfly, VERY small, just above my breast..... and i'm deciding if I should actually take the plunge.. *LOL*.....

------------------
Berkoff: "He's threatening to kill me. What should I do?"
Michael: "Don't let him."
- La Femme Nikita

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Tattoos. Not my style. Besides, since I'll probably be washed up on a beach someday, it'll be far cooler if I'm not identitifed. 8)

Seriously, the range of tattooing options seem far greater for women. YOU can have a little purple dragon or butterfly or whatever above your breast, but for men it's gotta be an anchor on the deltoid or nothing. If you see what I mean.

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've designed some, but the thing to remember is that tatooes don't look good on old people. Another thing is that as I have grown older, my personality has changed. Something I would have considered tattooed on my arm 10 years ago I'd been reluctant to have now. I'm not the same person anymore.
Also I'm not going to have a hole poked through any of my flesh so that I can run a piece of shiny metal through it.

(Although wooden disks in the earlobes and the lower lip is cool!)

Tatooes used to be forever. Now they can be replaced with lovely scar-tissue. These are my reasons for not getting them myself. And I think it is smart that you are going to weigh the options.

------------------
Aren't you glad I don't supply a link to my homepage here?

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Personally, I'm not a tattoo kind of person, but I don't care if anyone else has one. But be modest, full arm length tattoos will make you look like a mentally challenged pimp. I'm not a piercing guy either, but I think one in the lower lip or nose can be nice. But not a navel piercing. Navels are works of art, and you shouldn't destroy them.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will get one some day, when I find the right artist.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

Feste
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw one of the Allman Brothers signing autographs at a Virgin record store. He had tats all over his arms and man did they look tired on somebody his age.

If you're bound and determined to get your tatoo be really picky and ask questions about the sterilizing prodcedures. The needles are an excellent way to get hepatitis or worse. Not to make you paranoid or anything.

------------------
"'I'm afraid there's nowhere for you to sit,' I said coldly; 'the verandah is full of goats.'" --Saki "The Guests"

IP: Logged
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Normally I wouldn't want any tatoos, but come to think of it, I wouldn't mind if I had a permanent combadge on my arm.

------------------
"I would be delighted to offer any advice I can on understanding women. When I have some, I'll let you know."
--Picard to Data, "In Theory"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a tatoo on my left tricep. I got it when I was in Technical School in 1980. The standard procedure for getting a tatoo at that time, was to get roaring drunk, go to the (only licenced) tatoo parlor (in the state of Mississippi), pick out your tatoo, have the artist "Zazz" it on (that's what the instument of tatting sounded like to me anyway), followed by more drunken revelry.

In the morning, you'd wake up with a hangover, look at your new tat' and say "Oh, man!" "Ouch! My head! Oh, man! Just how drunk was I?"

I, iconoclast that I was, reordered the procedure. I chose my future tatoo from one of my own works, took it to the tatoo parlor, and asked him "How much to put this one on?"

He said "I like it. Twenty-five bucks." (That represented a 50% discount from the going rate for a tat' that size.)

When he was done, then I went out for pizza and beer. I skipped the hung-over regret the following morning.

The moral of this admittedly rambling tale? If you choose wisely, you will never be embarrassed by your tat'. On the other hand, remember that they do fade (mine isn't particularly crisp-looking any more) and what you thought was superb at twenty-something may prove somewhat of an embarrassment at 40-or-so.

--Baloo

------------------
"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
--David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited July 12, 1999).]

Jubilee
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*reads off card of place she's been considering getting it done*

"Sterilzation. Complete Privacy. Registered with Northeast Dept. of Health"

And also, about 11 of the 13 people with good artwork I asked went to this same place....and I called the guy and talked to him on the phone, and get very good vibes about the place and the artist.

------------------
- La Femme Nikita

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... Let's see... Go through a painful, and possibly unhealthy, procedure to get a purposeless drawing implanted in your body? Makes about as much sense as drilling holes in yourself, then plugging them w/ metal shards. Somehow, I think the only way anything like that is going to happen to me is if someone knocks me unconscious, ties me up, and does it to me. And don't get any ideas!

------------------
"Sometimes you really dig a girl the moment you kiss her,
And then you get distracted by her older sister..."
-The Lovin' Spoonful, "Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind?"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ziyal: The proper place for a comm badge is NOT on the arm.

Jubes: I want a rather complicated drawing. It's not all that big, but there is a lot of color and detail. Plus, I have so many allergies, I'd have the ink tested on me first, before getting the whole thing.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

Golden Phoenix
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the majority of the precedings arguments and my comment is that I don't think it's a good idea even if it's a small one. Remember it's permanent...
IP: Logged
Jubilee
Member # 99

Thanks for all the advice guys.... as it turns out I DID get it done, however...... *looks down at chest* It's about the size of a dime, and looks very good there. *smiles* It didn't even hurt........

.... well, not that much, anyway. *LOL*

But i'm happy with my decision, and it's small enough and low enough that I can hide it when I get older, if I'm ashamed of it.

------------------
- La Femme Nikita

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is this old man in town who served in Europe during WWII. He has a tatoo of a naked, dancing girl on his forearm in plane view. Hahahaha!!!!

------------------
"You can stand me up at the Gates of Hell, but I won't back down."- Tom Petty :-)

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Well, putting shards of metal in punctured skin may sound stupid, but it's not much more stupid than the predominantly female habit of smearing paint on your facial extremities to be more successful in human mating rituals..

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps