Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » My Linksys Go Boom

Author Topic: My Linksys Go Boom
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, er, I don't know what happened. But I think iChat blew up my router. All I know is everything was going gang-busters, but when I opened iChat, all my computers lost internet. I noticed the red Diag light was lit on my faithful widdle WRT54G router. Now I can't even get it to power up to try resetting or a variety of other clever things I'm prepared to do.

Which I expect puts me in the market for a new (sub USD$100) WiFi router. Do people have suggestions? Dire warnings? WTF is MIMO and do I need/want that?

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Netgear MR814 and have not had a problem.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I haven't got it completely wrong, MIMO refers to the new N or pre-N type routers that send and receive multiple, er, streams/signals (?) of information at once. The upshot of this is that range and quality is increased.

The N specification isn't actually finalised yet though, so you can only get "pre-N" routers, and I think only Belkin do them. If you old router was a G-type and you got on fine with it, I wouldn't go crazy desperate for an N type one.

And I've always got on fine with Belkin routers. Your actual mileage may vary, obviously.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've heard from people, Linksys routers don't always play well with Mac networks, unfortunately. For third-party routers, I'd recommend checking out Belkin first.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does your wireless router have any warranty to it?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It isn't anymore. Too old.

What do people think/know about the D-Link D-I 624?

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same router self-destruct about two weeks ago. It was about two years old. Since the company was paying for it and they told me not to spend more than $100 cnd, I was forced to get Linksys wireless b BEFW1154 with a card for my laptop, I know I would have prefered the g but money constrains force me to the b. Seems to be working well, good coverage in and around my house.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps