Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » XP's over-protective security center

Author Topic: XP's over-protective security center
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I'm running SP2, so I have the annoying (but probably useful) security center horning in on what I do. It yelled at me about new updates the other day so I downloaded and installed them. They were all security updates for XP and IE. But now its gotten really annoying. See, whenever someone sends me a file through MSN Messenger and I click on the link, Windows tells me in a cheerful tone that it blocked the file because it is potentially harmful. How the fuck do I turn this off? I'll judge if a screencap a friend sends me is harmful or not, thank you very much you paranoid overprotective piece of shit.

Ahem.

Anyways, if someone knows how to disable this (because the Security Center's window is annoyingly low-accessible), I would be greatly appreciative.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From here:
quote:
Disabling The Security Center
Let's get this one out of the way first. To disable the Windows XP Security Center open the Services MMC:

Press the Windows and R keys > in the resulting window type services.msc > in the resulting window scroll down to Security Center and double-click on it > In the "Startup type:" box use the arrow to scroll down to choose "Disabled" click Apply and reboot, or, click Apply and click the button that says Stop.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that's why I use the Security Center from McAfee instead.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that's why I use a Mac. Nyah.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's out of the way. Not like I ever used the thing anyways.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that Seigy's response wasn't nice and helpful, but you could have just clicked the "change the way security centre alerts me" text on the window itself and turned everything off. It gets you less nerd-cred, but it has the benefit of being the blindingly obvious thing to do.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps