Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Strange Occurences (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Strange Occurences
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sieg, I'd say that since it's your mom's computer and she may have all the little spyware bits on it, some little program or two or three is running in the background and actually interfering with the burning process. It may be causing buffer underruns in which you will get errors.
I ran Ad-Aware for the first time in ages on her computer about a week ago, and it found over 200 items. Most of them were cookies, but I was rather surprised by how many weren't. I need to spend some quality with the services.msc and Google. Just idling, there's about forty processes that are running.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IKES! That can't be good.

I'm not sure I get why so many sofware and peripheral companies (I'm looking at you, RealPlayer) feel entirely justified in installing so much stuff into your task bar (or whatever that little zone is bottom right). My grandfather bought my grandmother a Dell laptop with XP Home on it so she could learn the internet (and spare him typing in all her emails). Anyway it felt like I was going at it with hedgeclippers just with the pre-installed software looking for updates and checking on the other pre-installed stuff. And that's just legit stuff, without any mal-ware. But so yeah, that stuff could be eating clock cycles or loading a complicated screen-saver could potentially interrupt your burning...

There's like buffer underrun prevention stuff that's supposed to significantly reduce the number of coasters you make, but I've never been entirely clear on whether that's hardware (on the drive) or software. At any rate it doesn't exactly make for 100% success rates. Even on beautiful and perfect shiny new macs. I was burning stuff across my home network instead of locally, and got bored and played Halo online in the middle. Turns out that was less than smart.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...task bar (or whatever that little zone is bottom right)."

System tray. The taskbar is the whole grey thing from the Start button to the clock.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So on my latest attempt to burn I get this error message:

-

Which I don't understand. And of course I have another coaster.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"System tray."

The official term is Taskbar Notification Area, actually. Don't refer to it as the "system tray" again, or I will be forced to take unpleasant measures.

"I'm not sure I get why so many sofware and peripheral companies (I'm looking at you, RealPlayer) feel entirely justified in installing so much stuff into your task bar TNA..."

Because each of those companies thinks that users like being able to directly access the state of their programs and not having oversized taskbar buttons cluttering up their desktop and so are willing to turn a blind eye to the truly horrendous abuse of notification icons for that purpose. Tsk, eh?

(That being said, have you ever looked at the default OSX Dock?)

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tophy: which version of Nero(Vision) do you have, and which other burning software (if any) is installed on your computer?

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The official term is Taskbar Notification Area, actually. Don't refer to it as the 'system tray' again, or I will be forced to take unpleasant measures."

Hey, it's the programmers' own fault for not removing the last reference to the name "tray" when they changed it.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TNA stands for something else that has nothing to do with a computer.... I am back dated, so mine is still a systray.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am running (or rather, attempting to run) NeroVision Express 3. I also have Nero Express 6 and Cheetah DVD Burner.

--------------------

Cartman
Member # 256

OK, those versions are somewhat aged, but not really elderly yet, which makes me suspect your burner simply doesn't like the DVDs you're feeding it (the composition of their reflective layer could be off, for example) and has a case of, erh, heartburn from them. Install the shareware version of Nero 7 (but use Ahead's Clean Tool to remove all traces of your current Nero installation before you do) and then try to burn a disc from your current batch (and should that not get rid of the memory error, upgrade your drive's firmware) to see whether the problem is software-related, and if you can, buy a second batch from another brand to test with as well.

Also, the next time it craps out on you, could you post the contents of Nero's error-log file (located in the same directory you installed Nero in)?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

I ran the Clean Tool and got this message: "The Nero General CleanTool has detected some Nero applications which are not supported by this version. In order to avoid damaging of your system, the application will be closed now."

But I went ahead and installed a version of Nero 7 anyways. Bad yes/no?

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you uninstall all the other burners before running Clean Tool?

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

I uninstalled the old Nero stuff, yes. Ran the CleanTool, got that error message.

I was able to successfully burn a video DVD. Tried data DVD with one of the "unusuable" DVDs from before but it wouldn't go. Haven't tried a data DVD with a new disk yet.

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

I know, it was a silly question, but, I have known CIS grads that did some real goofy stuff, like not uninstalling before hand....

Con to you. You can get the Grats after you have everythng working.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Tried burning data again, didn't work. This is Nero's log file.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.