Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Strange Occurences (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Strange Occurences
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went ahead and installed a version of Nero 7 anyways. Bad yes/no?

Not so much as "bad" as "unwise". However...

quote:

Sense Key: 0x03 (KEY_MEDIUM_ERROR)
Sense Code: 0x0C
Sense Qual: 0x00

..., this IS bad, as is...

quote:

Sense Key: 0x05 (KEY_ILLEGAL_REQUEST)
Sense Code: 0x30
Sense Qual: 0x05

...three times in a row, the combination of which strongly suggests bad media (KEY_MEDIUM_ERROR is a driver code indicating that Nero encountered an unrecoverable error condition (0x03 0x0C 0x00), probably resulting from a flaw in your DVD-R or in the data being recorded to it), not to mention that...

quote:

Physical memory : 511MB (523808kB)
Free physical memory: 38MB (39860kB)
Memory in use : 92 %

...is a sign of extremely poor computer management. B)
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depending on how comfortable you are with stuff like this, you could try installing this firmware update. It apparently has a 733t new writing algorithm. Which is nice.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Pioneer discs are the best to use, as they are the ones that DVD makers use for testing. This could be an old wive's tale, however.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I installed the firmware update but have yet to attempt burning something. Will report back when I do.

How can I better manage my computer? I don't really pay much attention to the memory. But I don't know what would be using that much of my memory.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well first, prevent the startup of any programs you hardly or don't ever use. Second, shut down all other programs when you gonna burn a disc. Third, don't touch the computer at all during a burn. Go do something else away from the computer.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It apparently has a 733t new writing algorithm."

Teet?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like nipples.

Topher: How many things have you got running in the system not-tray-thing-that-is-in-the-bottom-right-hand-corner?

Also, go to your start menu, click run, and type "msconfig" and hit enter. Click on the startup tab and tell me everything that's listed. Everything.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you get rid of crappy Windows Messenger (it's in my right-hand thingie and I'll never use it)?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to Tools->Options, then look under the Preferences tab. The first option says "Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts". Just deselect that, and you should be fine.

B.J.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing by the clock: iTunes, Azureus, Trillian, Network Connection, MSN Messenger, volume control, Logitech Video thing, Winamp, Symantec Antivirus, SoundMAX Digital Integrated Audio.

msconfig Startup tab:
SMTray
vptray
winampa
type32
realsched
NvCpl
nwlz
NvMcTray
MsgPlus
WinPlosion (! I deleted this)
iTunesHelper
qttask
Acrotray

LVCOMSX
ISStart
LogiTray
NeroCheck
msmsgs
ManifestEngine
MsgPlus
NMBgMonitor
msnmsgr
Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher
AutoCAD Startup Accelerator
Trillian

--------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless you constantly listen to your music with iTunes or winamp, shut it down. Similar reason with Trillian. You certainly don't need iTunes helper open unless you need a little help with the program. You don't need to startup accelerator for Autocad or Acrobat. Can't really say anything about the other programs. But if I think realsched is part of Real Player, shut that off too.

And of course, close all programs when you're gonna burn a disc. And disable the internet connection as well.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

That's just too much of a hassle. I mean, does it really make that big of a difference?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it depends upon your computer. I usually shut nothing down when I burn a disc. At most, I'll stop Winamp if it happens to be playing. And I haven't had a problem.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

When burning data disks I don't tend to shut things down. I'll pause iTunes, but I'll usually let the computer do its thing. When burning video, I usually start the process when I go to bed or when I go to class as it takes so long.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
Go to Tools->Options, then look under the Preferences tab. The first option says "Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts". Just deselect that, and you should be fine.

B.J.

Many thanks!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Deleting startup stuff doesn't make a huge difference, but it does make a difference, mainly in system stability. The less things running, the less possible conflicts there are. And most of those things running at startup do nothing anyway.

You can delte
winampa
realsched
NvCpl
MsgPlus
iTunesHelper
qttask
Acrotray
NeroCheck
Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher
AutoCAD Startup Accelerator

...with no problems, as they do nothing at all. I don't recognise most of the others, so I can't help there.

(If you want Winamp, put it in your Quicklaunch bar instead. It takes up no resources to be there.)

(You also seem to have Messenger in there twice.)

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps