Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The Challenger (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Challenger
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Space Shuttle Challenger exploded during launch on this date 20 yeas ago.

My memory of the event is that I was in high school at the time watching the launch on television when the disaster happened.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sixth grade for me. I was in school, when one of the teachers, who knew I was a fan of real-life space stuff, told me. I thought at first that Challenger had exploded in orbit; then I got home and saw the footage on TV, and was pretty devastated for days afterwards.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1986... I was 5 at the time so I don't recall any of it.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in Junior High and in the caffeteria when some ass kid ran up and cheerily announced "The shuttle just blew up!" I looked at the TV's that were on but mute and saw that odd shaped explosion cloud and recall not understanding what I was looking at.

...of course, it was followed by the innane jokes of the day (the Truly Tasteless books were big back then).

Equally sad is the promises on improving safety and quality inspections after the disaster- only to have almost the exact same promises repeated after the Columbia was lost.
I bet Science Channel has a special on it tonight.

[ January 28, 2006, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Columbia?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in first grade at the time. I remember watching the news footage, but I don't think we were watching the launch live or anything.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
...Columbia?

Der, yes.
I was thinking of making a "notify the Discovery on subspace" joke and that just sorta happened.

Drugs: stay away from them kiddies!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
West coast kiddie here. We found out that morning in Junior High, during English class. I hated that teacher, but I do recall we were taken into a special room with TV and watched the news coverage of the launch. I was pretty up on the launch schedule back then. I knew it was going up that day. My reaction was more of a non-reaction. I think I just couldn't believe it...
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was 78 days old, so I don't realy remember it.

I don't know what the coverage was like in the UK to be honest. Any one on this side of the pond remember?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Similar situation to TGB there, only I was 1.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sixth grade for me (11 years old). I happened to be home because of a teacher work day. Even then, I was very much into everything space-related, so I was really excited to finally get to see a shuttle launch "live". My parents were in disbelief when I called them at work.

The next time I watched a live (and in person this time!) launch 10 years later, I was just a bit jumpy.

B.J.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3rd Grade for me from Canada.

I think it was all over the news, the Canadian television networks were blaring all about it. I'm not exactly sure how I reacted to it, but one of the first things I wanted to know is how it exploded.... I had a very curious mind back then.....

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
20 years! I remember racing out to the tv in the morning (it was probably on the morning news cause it most probably happened during our night time) and seeing what had happened. I had just turned 7. CRAP! That makes me 27! heh. Remember those space pioneers!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very Apt... from a link in the Ye Olde Desktop Background thread: http://www.tlwdata.de/images/tlw_tribute.jpg

Have a look at their trek stuff - I've never seen it before - It's fantastic! Were these people involved with the show at anytime - they seem to have good meshes (well they look good - I'm no mesh expert!).

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, here I am apparently almost at middle age compared to you young folk.

20 years ago I'd have been 18.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps