Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » And The South Rises Again! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: And The South Rises Again!
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Maryland is south of the Mason-Dixon line, which is the line surveyed to settle the border dispute between the Pennsylvania/Delaware and Maryland colonies. And I live in Delaware, the only state east of the Mason-Dixon line. [Wink]

Maybe I was a bit sheltered, but when I was in college at Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia, I really didn't see much of that The South Will Rise Again!� crap (fortunately), even though there was a very, very strong tradition of information from the Civil War.

I did my junior-year history term paper on the monuments at Gettysburg National Park. Considering that the monuments in question weren't even the state-wide monuments, but rather the ones dedicated to individual units and the courageous acts taken those three days... I think it's telling that the thugs who did this had no clue what they were doing, other than the fact that they were northern states' monuments. (An interesting side note: the vast majority of the monuments for entire states were erected either close to the 50th and 100th anniversaries of the battle. And most of the former Confederate states' monuments were erected around the 100th anniversary, which just coincidentally happened to fall around the height of the Civil Rights Movement.)

As someone who studied the history of monuments and the placement thereof in one of my classes at school, it's sad to remember that even something like the Gettysburg memorials will never be completely de-politicized. When the entire issue is effectively dead, it would be so much better to simply remember the heroism of the soldiers who fought that battle. Instead, we get more of this The South Will Rise Again!� bull.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty soon here in Keliphonya you won't be able to hold office if you're a "Blanco"....hmmm sounds like the time cop from "Time Trax"

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Da_bang80:
Are you serious? Even if you're a born and bred American? Damn man. You guys need to do a better job of sinking those illegal immigrant rafts [Smile]

A couple of years back a debris removal company (something american sounding- and sons) bid on several Miami city projects (it's a biiig field after al our hurricanes). They were the second lowerst bidder.

They lost all five or six contracts to higher bidders with less experence.
They compalined to the city comptroller and were told (supposedly- it''s legally hearsay) that "they should look for work elsewhere- the Cubans look out for themselves".

The owner of the company teamed up with a journalist from the New Times (a local editoral newspaper published for free by the Miami Herald) and did something funny: he had his son start a business called "Martinez and Sons" and bid against his father for more city contracts.
Dad bid lower than his son and lost all the bids to his "spanish" son.

The clincher- the story was to run over three weeks in New Times, but the Herald pulled itafter the first edition because of pressure from bot the city and advertiers in the cuban commmunity.
The company itself was forced to dissolve and relinquish it's city contrats (before starting anyting) because the city said it was a "fradulent business".

Just this past month, the State attorney Generals office filed suit against the City of Hollywood for discrimination against a jewish group operating an "unlawful" synagogue out of a private house.
The city had shut them down saying they were not allowed to operate a religous institution from a private home....while ignoring a prominant cuban/catholic house doing the same thing a few blocks away....but making aprofit from it.
The catholic house even has it's own souvineer shop inside, selling "artifacts" blessed by Jesus.

Truly, I read the "local" section of my newspaper to laugh at the abject, unabashed corruption of my state.

...but we still dont re-enact the Civil War. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I have to say is to go rent "Falling Down" again.

"There's no 'V' in FIFTY"

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The movie with Michael Doulglas?

er...why exactly (I missed it)?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
Member # 1425

white male heterosexual paranoia...or is it?

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps