Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I confess... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I confess...
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...I collect toys. Star Trek and Star Wars have filled an entire drawer in my room, and I've got a bunch of stuff in my dorm as well.

I've decided that I'll invest in a First Contact Geordi La Forge, or a Han Solo in stormtrooper getup at $5 a pop, and then, in twenty years, they'll be able to pay off my student loans...

OR, maybe its because when I was little, my brothers broke most of my toys, or claimed them for their own, and this is just an excuse to preserve the toys I have...

Oh well. Anyone else collect?

------------------
"Ooga Chucka Ooga Ooga" - Some Guy

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Confess? Is collecting toys a bad and/or childish thing then? Not according to me. I don't collect things myself though. I build things.

CaptSershek
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, am a collector. I collect Prerecorded Trek tapes, toys, and I know of a few costumers who make Trek costumes for me (high quality stuff, no polyester I), as well as books. I have been collecting for about 20 years so I have a decent collection of stuff.

------------------
Remember when we used to be explorers? - Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

IP: Logged
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I collect the books - I have every Pocket "Star Trek" book ever written (except the voyager ones) and almost every old Bantam one.

I have at least one of every Star Trek starship model AMT/Ertl makes, including a number of kitbashed ones. I will keep buying them as long as they keep making new ones.

My father has almost the entire First-Run sets of all the Star Wars action figures, a complete Jabba's Palace and Ewok villiage, and a bunch of other toys (most of which USED to be my toys, but he bought them.)

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Trek toys and books, but I buy them because I like them, not because I want to complete a collection or sell them 20 years later.

------------------
"I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three on the law become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!"
--John Adams, "1776"

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmmmm... Do I want to get into this. I'll miss something.

I collect some things. I do it more by impulse, instead of in some orginzed manner. The earliest thing I have is a picture of Spock playing 3d chess, it's not autographed. I have all the books by James Blish, aloto Bantum books, atono tng books, some Voyager, some DS9. When First Contact came out, the local Citgo station had some promo posters, I mangaed two from the gas pumps, and one small one from inside on a display. I have bumperstickers, "My other car is a bird of prey" "He's dead Jim", some others. One plate(More of a brain fart than an impulse)"The Best of Both Worlds" A couple of models. one of 1701 and two of 1701-D. Some cards for the game game, though I've never played the game. did I mention the T-shirts. One hand pantied(By someone else)with a Kliongon symbol on the front, and Qa,pla on the back, along with comets and stars and stuff, others, you get the idea, it's a sanity thing.

------------------
Here I Come To Save The Day : Mighty Mouse

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, I have the starter pack of the TNG cards, too. It was a free gift from the Star Trek credit card, which my mom signe up when we went to the Experience so she could get one of those free Borg sports bottles. I also want to get some of those Dominion and DS9 cards, too.

------------------
"I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three on the law become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!"
--John Adams, "1776"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I confess, I only have a couple of books, a telephone, a poster with a cutaway of the Enterprise-D, and ST:FC and STVI.

I confess, I am not a collector, I am not a true Star Trek Fan.......

*cries*

Oh well, it's not something I can do about it. My mom is totally irritated by my Star Trek stuff, she burned two of my favourite books (Star Trek TNG Compendum, and ST:TNG Technical manual, to which I am still bitter at her to this very day). She thinks Star Trek is nothing more than a money making sham, as "they make money off of you."

So? She likes to collect Chinese antiques. Can it be the same thing too?

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

[This message was edited by Tahna Los on March 14, 1999.]

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

What does it matter what she thinks? Besides, if nobody makes money off of anybody, how is anybody going to make a living?

------------------
--John Adams, "1776"

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hail your wisdom Ziyal.

BTW Tahna, I know how you feel. My mom hates me for my ST obsession. I'm always watching it, if not on television, then it's on video. My sisters even have a go at me occasionally. She's never destroyed anything, although she has threatened to on more than one occasion.

Even my dad who got me into trek gets a little pissed off at me at times. Well, it's his fault for getting me into trek in the first place

------------------
"What does it mean, exact change?"

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any toys left, but now I really wish I still had the wooden phaser my craftsman Dad hand-made for me back about 1975.

Instead, I've got a variety of SF-related books, technical manuals, "Making Of," "The Art Of," etc, for Trek, Wars, a couple of SF movies, and 20-30[?] rule books and supplements for role-playing games {RPG's}---Shadow Run, Cyberpunk, Traveller, Gurps Space, etc.

No, I don't play, but I just have to get those books!

Plus a couple of art books: Rodney Mathews, two from Wayne Douglas Barlowe, three from Dougle Dixon.

Anyone else?

[This message was edited by Xentrick on March 14, 1999.]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BURNED a book?? BURNED A BOOK??

*gets that 'psychotic librarian' look*

CALL OUT THE DEATH SQUADS!

If my parents ever did something like that to me, they'd be thanking whatever Gods they believe in (I don't ask) if I let them escape with their lives.

Fortunately, my folks now understand that Star Trek is my primary stress-eliminator -- the thing that keeps me from going after them with an axe -- so they let it alone.

Destroying my stuff would be tantamount to an act of war, and I've always belived in a Scorched Earth policy. Deterrence through bigger and better threats. (Burn my books? Pfah! I Burn your car, your house, and your business, and tell the neighborhood about them dirty movies you THINK you have hidden in the closet!)

Although that might be going a bit far...

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sneaks into First of Two's parent's closet*

*runs*

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot to mention the first season of TNG on video tape. A stoneware copy of a china cup, used in ST6 dinner with the Klingons.

------------------
Here I Come To Save The Day : Mighty Mouse

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some fiction books, some non-fiction books, some tapes, some models, that's it. No I'm not really collecting things, but rather knowledge on Star Trek.

------------------
Brain. Brain. What is brain? (Kara the Eymorg, "Spock's Brain")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps