Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » *insert sleight of mind fallacy here*...

Author Topic: *insert sleight of mind fallacy here*...
Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't help but see what was up with this site so I went to read up on the subject...and found that... well.. This site is just plain awesome! You can use all the tactics to get out of conversations you'd rather not be in.....

Conversational Terrorism

------------------
I'm you're only friend, I'm not your only friend, but I'm a little glowing friend, but really i'm not actually a friend, but I am.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I agree with everything you said except the conclusion. It doesn't make any sense to me, and I can not accept it. I am trying, but your brain must work much differently than mine."

*L!*

I LIKE this site!

Fortunately, though I am not fully familiar with terms such as "Ad Hominem", I am familiar with the principles behind them. I love raising the "BS flag" when people start spouting spurious logic such as this.

--Baloo

------------------
"Someday your ship will come in...and you'll be at the airport "
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ad Hominem: "Attack the Man"... an [illogical] debating tactic where instead of criticising your opponent's arguments, you attack your opponent due to other unrelated reasons (ie, personal insults).

*never realized his term studying logic would be useful*

Wait till I tell you about Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

------------------
"They don�t call it show business for nothing. This is an ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly town in many, many ways. But big f*cking deal. Big business is ugly. The world is ugly. Our job is to make our little piece of it better. Whenever you get into the general, it�s not going to be all beer and Skittles and Christmas trees."
-Ira Stephen Behr on the Moore fiasco

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah...ow...argh...

Memories of...Philosophy 120...

Ad populum...that was a fun one.

------------------
"We kid around a lot about people who are cyclopses, but seriously; if you're a mythic figure you've got challenges that no one should have to deal with."
--
John Flansburgh

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In other words, when someone responds to your statements by yelling "Fascist!" or "Gun Nut!" or "Satanist!" or (Insert the racial/ethnic/sexual epithet of your choice), he/she/it is using an Ad Hominem argument.

F'r instance: "First of Two prefers punishing the naughty to passing unnecessary laws that will weaken the nice! He's a right-wing crackpot!" is an Ad-Hominem argument, one that will get you laughed at by me.

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...And by me.

Laughter works better in groups.

------------------
"Someday your ship will come in...and you'll be at the airport "
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, ad hominem remarks aren't completely useless. Once you've determined that your opponent has no comprehension whatsoever of the concept of logic, a real arguement really has no point. Might as well try to make them look stupid even to their illogical sympathizers... :-)

------------------
Taurik: "He's convinced Commander Riker doesn't like him."
Ben: "Why? You crash the ship into something?"
-TNG: "Lower Decks"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are not!

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

------------------
"Angels, answer me,
are you near if rain should fall?
Am I to believe
you will rise to calm the storm?
For so great a treasure words will never do.
Surely, if this is, promises are mine to give you.
mine to give........ "
~ Enya

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd respond, but I don't think you would understand.

------------------
Nurse: Can I help you?
Stan: We're here to commit our friend, Kyle.
Nurse: Reason?
Kyle: I'm a clinically depressed fecalpheliac on Prozac.
Nurse: JACKET!!

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comprehension is not required in context. Just look at every second post here!

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would too! (watched "Hot Shots" last night)

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

What are you talking about ad hominem, you lying shit??!

(It's a joke people, like the phrase "don't swear god damnit!" before you think I'm in a mood again. Well, I am in a mood, but I'm trying to be nice)

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*LOL*

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps