Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » A Woman's tips for men..... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A Woman's tips for men.....
Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've had a few of these sorts of columns up, and I couldn't help but offer men a few tips from a woman's point of view..

1.Tell us, every day, how beautiful, special, etc.. we are and how lucky you are to have us.

~This serves a few purposes. First of all, it MAKES us feel beautiful, special, and etc...and you can barter that in later when you want us to do something for you. Secondly, it gives us a reason to stay with you. Contrary to some mens beliefs, WE are the ones that pick YOU. .. We don't HAVE to stay in a relationship with you, so treat us nice, and Remember how lucky you are that we're here!

2. Don't be selfish.

~I can't stress this one enough. You are not the only person in your life. WE have needs too. That means, when you're getting up to get a beer, a simple "Do you want something while i'm up?" Is always nice. If we're really, really tired and had a long day and you havn't, offer to wash the dishes or something. We aren't here as your live-in servants. You want us to make you a sandwich or get you something while we're up? .. Do that for us occasionally too. Thinking about yourself constantly is a one-way ticket to "Do your own laundry"ville, and the couch.

3. We really do like gifts.

~MEANINGFUL ones. Some of us like flowers... some of us like the latest John Grisham thriller... some of us consider a gift to be an evening laying on the grass looking at the stars. Gifts are simply put: Sacrifices on your part to make us happy. We do this for you constantly, and it doesn't hurt to do this for us, too. A well-thought out gift makes us feel special, and wanted, and appreciated. It doesn't even have to cost money, or be silver, or gold, or sparkle.

4. Tell us you love us and need us and want us.... BEFORE we tell you.

~When you say "I love you too" in response to a woman's "I love you" ..... you're only going through the motions. Even if those words are heartfelt, women assume they are being spoken on autopilot. Now that's not to say that when a woman tells you that she loves you she DOESN'T want to hear "I love you too".... but occasionally it makes us feel really good when we hear, out of nowhere... "Dear, I love you, respect you, and appreciate what you've done here" .. or something. Don't make us have to say it first.

5. Don't ask us to do something, then criticize our job, and then expect us to do it again.

~Scenario: I make my guy a sandwich, out of the kindness of my heart, because he's hungry and has asked me to make him one. I put much attention into this sandwich, picking out as many peices of meat as I know he usually eats, add tomatoes, and mayonaise, and a few of those onion things that I can't stand and he can.... Then I cut it lovingly and put it on a plate. To me, this is yet another show of my love: I know how he likes his sandwiches and have constructed what I feel is a perfect show of this. Then, I give it to him, and his only remark is "This could use a few more tomatoes, and honey, you forgot the pickles". This is only going to serve to upset me a bit.... though i'll probably just get up, put more tomatoes on it, and a few pickles, and bring it back. What's really upsetting is when it happens every time, and then I STOP making sandwiches because i'm tired of hearing him bitch about it, and he comes to me and says "How come you never make me sandwiches anymore?" ....
I hope you see the point here.

So there you go..... Hope they help, in some way.

------------------
"Angels, answer me,
are you near if rain should fall?
Am I to believe
you will rise to calm the storm?
For so great a treasure words will never do.
Surely, if this is, promises are mine to give you.
mine to give........ "
~ Enya

[This message has been edited by Jubilee McGann (edited July 24, 1999).]

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A comment on #5: This is damn good advice that can be applied to ANY type of relationship ANYWHERE.

------------------
"I would be delighted to offer any advice I can on understanding women. When I have some, I'll let you know."
--Picard to Data, "In Theory"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There male version of each of these rules as well.

1. "Tell us, every day, how beautiful, special, etc.. we are and how lucky you are to have us."

Male Version:

Tell us every day how much you appreciate the little things we do. We forget it isn't the "size" of the things we do, but the number. If we don't hear any appreciation, we'll stop doing the little things and put more energy into the bigger things.

"All he does is work, work, work! I wish he'd spend more time with the children."

We males need to be told that what we're doing to build up and maintain the relationship is having an effect. If we don't hear that fairly often, we think that we're either being taken for granted or taken advantage of, or that we are somehow not doing enough. If we begin to feel like you value nothing we do, why stay in the relationship at all?

2. "Don't be selfish."

Male Version:

If you think we aren't pulling our weight in the relationship, tell us. If a male thinks his male partner in any other endeavor isn't pulling his weight, he says something about it: "Hey! A little help, here!".

If the other partner is doing all sorts of things for us, we tend to believe we must be "ahead" in the giving game, and so we relax a bit. It makes us uncomfortable to think we're putting too much additional obligation on someone when they're obviously trying to catch up. If the other partner felt she was carrying an unfair share of the burden, she'd say something.

Wouldn't she?

3. "We really do like gifts."

Male Version:

We want time to ourselves. It isn't because we don't love you, but because we are male. Whenever something's bugging us, we don't want to talk about it until we've had time to mull it over. Other males sense this and leave us alone. Please follow their lead.

When we've thought about our problem (or whatever) we will come out of seclusion. Before we sequestered ourselves, we didn't know what we thought. Now that we've taken the time to mull things over, we have a coherent answer and are ready to talk about it.

4. "Tell us you love us and need us and want us.... BEFORE we tell you."

Male Version:

Males learn to do before they learn to talk. We already thought our actions were saying "I love you". Even those of us who know the importance of the above rule wish you would:

a) Let us know you need to hear the above message (if we haven't heard it from you before).

b) Be patient enough to let us say it on our own without prompting.

Men generally take longer to organize their thoughts. It takes time to sort through our feelings (when we know what they are) and then put words to them. It's as difficult a concept for us as assigning a mathematical value to our feelings would be. Be patient. We aren't taught these skills by society, but we are eager to learn.

5. "Don't ask us to do something, then criticize our job, and then expect us to do it again."

Male Version:

This cuts both ways. When we do something and get yelled at because it wasn't done to your standards, remember, it was a gesture of love. If you yell at us no matter what we do, we'll stop doing anything except when it suits us.

I'd rather get yelled at for doing something I wanted to do anyway, than to be yelled at for doing something I didn't care to do in the first place.

Male and female humans have different ways of communicating. What throws us off the trail is the fact that they look very similar, but contain very different meaning upon occasion.

Many of us have dogs or cats. The difficulty you have communicating with your pets rarely results in hurt feelings. You have no problem accepting the fact that you do not speak their language, nor they yours. You take the time to observe their behavior and learn to interpret it to your understanding. If you have this kind of loving patience with your pets, then why can't you expend some time trying to understand your mate?

------------------
I'm not uncouth.
I'm differently mannered.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited July 24, 1999).]

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treat our significant others like cats and dogs?

------------------
"I would be delighted to offer any advice I can on understanding women. When I have some, I'll let you know."
--Picard to Data, "In Theory"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, there was mention of a "one-way ticket to...the couch". I'm just curious. What exactly is it that women do to force men to sleep on the couch? I mean, if someone told me to go sleep on the couch, I have to think I would say something to the effect of "Screw that; you go sleep on the couch." So, what is it?

------------------
"Merde!"
-commander of Napoleon's army, upon learning that the Duke of Wellington's forces had received assistance and were requesting his surrender

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well then ladies, what happens when you do do all those things, and she leaves anyway? Case in point: My marriage.

------------------
"What is that? A tank?"
--Our Lord and Savior David Koresh, the Second Coming snuffed out before He could any good.

Raven Rosset
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hhmmmm, Cargile, guess we can sit and have a drink together bud.... gift, time given to her or true compliments.... but they took the door out....
IP: Logged
RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

It almost makes me glad I'll never need the advice.. *cynical grin*

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tora Ziyal: "Treat our significant others like cats and dogs?"

Well, stop and think about it. You make every effort to ensure your pet understands what you want when you want him/her/it to do (or stop doing) something, right? You reward the animal's good behavior in ways the pet can understand, right?

Master: "Good boy, Rex! Just for that I'm adding some more high-tech stocks to your portfolio!"

Rex: "Woof!"

Yeah. Right.

If you don't think you and your mate need to spend any time trying to understand one-another's points-of-view, tell me later about how perfect the relationship turned out.

Cargile, et. al.: Yeah, I think we all know that there are some people who just like to let others serve them. When it's convenient, they throw us a bone and hope, perhaps not too seriously, that it will serve to keep us in their service for the time being.

Not all jerks & *ssholes are powered by testosterone.

--Baloo

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Baloo's point of view. That may be because I'm a male myself. I feel that my actions speak louder than words. And I do say I love you first more than she does. As for the gifts, I'm a poor guy. I don't give many gifts, but the ones I do give are tremendous. They put me back in the poor house. Unfortunately, I also seem to give the wrong gifts, because I have no taste. At least, I have no taste as far as other people go. I'm sure my fiancee would not like a Dragonball Z action figure or a Playstation game.
Rule # 2-revised: give us hints when you need attention.
I never know when she needs attention. Women are fond of the reverse psychology method. This angers me to the extreme. I try to console her, but I get "Leave me alone." or "Go to hell" or "Go **ck yourself" Somebody tell me how to respond to that? I just go somewhere and drink a beer to keep me from blowing up back at her.
So the communication is a two-way street. Rules for one woman differ from other women. Men are easy to figure out, just leave them the **ck alone and they'll cool off. Give them nothing, they don't really care (I got nothing for Christmas or my birthday from my folks but I'm not angry about that.) Can't afford to go on a date? Let's just sit at home and watch a movie together. It costs less and frees you up to venture into intimacy whereas in the theatre, you'll end up in jail. Blank stares at someone's face tells a lot more than an "I love you", it shows that you do in your eyes. As for rule #5, that goes for anyone. That's my reply.

------------------
Nurse: Can I help you?
Stan: We're here to commit our friend, Kyle.
Nurse: Reason?
Kyle: I'm a clinically depressed fecalpheliac on Prozac.
Nurse: JACKET!!

[This message has been edited by Saiyanman Benjita (edited July 24, 1999).]

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Cargile.... when you do all those things and we leave anyway, it usually means that the relationship wasn't going to work out no matter what. OR it was our fault. We aren't infallable.

Baloo's right, and i've noted all his points. Thanks for your tips!

------------------
"Angels, answer me,
are you near if rain should fall?
Am I to believe
you will rise to calm the storm?
For so great a treasure words will never do.
Surely, if this is, promises are mine to give you.
mine to give........ "
~ Enya

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somebody let me know if what I said makes any sense. I am now looking at it like it's some sort of post-apocolyptic novel or tech instructions or something. Am I just on drugs or just out of it? Let me know.

------------------
Nurse: Can I help you?
Stan: We're here to commit our friend, Kyle.
Nurse: Reason?
Kyle: I'm a clinically depressed fecalpheliac on Prozac.
Nurse: JACKET!!

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

[Baloo, tired and brain-dead, attempts to emit humor by guessing at something he's too lazy to look up.]

If they're non-prescription, I'll bet they're still schedule 3.

------------------
I'm not uncouth.
I'm differently mannered.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo's right. Also, the unwritten rule. Don't repeat our feelings, to anyone.

------------------
"Diplomacy is the art of Internationalising an issue to your advantage"

Dan
Member # 129

- posted      Profile for Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*glad he's still single*

Oh, btw, I found Daryus.

------------------
Daniel Henderson
Senior Babylon 5 Editor
http://www.myrkr.com

[This message has been edited by Dan (edited July 25, 1999).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps