Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » M4P to MP3 conversion

Author Topic: M4P to MP3 conversion
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys,
I want to load a bunch of songs I've got on iTunes onto my mp3 player, but can't.

So, anybody know a good program for converting m4p files into mp3 format?

GB

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
m4p is Apple's special FairPlay-encrypted (DRM) form of mp4, so you'll have to be creative.
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, damn apple, making everything incompatable with everything else.

As far as i can work out, the best way to do it without loosing quality is to burn the music to a CD image in Nero, use another program to extract the files in .wav format, and then to convert the .wav files to mp3. I think i'll leave it for now!

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But if you have iTunes, you can use it to convert CD tracks to mp3? Or you can on my version, which granted I haven't updated since 2003.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... that's one way to make the Kessel run, but not quite in under twelve parsecs. B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
But if you have iTunes, you can use it to convert CD tracks to mp3? Or you can on my version, which granted I haven't updated since 2003.

CD tracks proper, sure. But Ginger's talking about stuff bought from ITMS, which is protected. (Bastards.)

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you burn the m4p track(s) to an Audio CD and then re-rip to mp3 from the CD. It's a pain and CD-RWs are the preferred media for this method. Cartman alludes to alternate, more direct (albeit less legal) means of doing this.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. Which is what I said.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cartman's method is also less lossy, but yours is faster, bX. Really depends on what you want.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

Thing is, when you burn the tracks onto CD, you loose the quality. The m4P format reduces the quality to the smallest it can, which is compressed even more when you burn them. Then, when you rip them back on to your pc, you need to do it at least at double the quality to get the same sound as before.

So no good. This would be far easier if I had a mac and an iPod.

--------------------

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course the intended solution is for you to buy an ipod which start at $79.

But using iTunes to burn a CD then ripping it back is the "quasi-official" means of doing an end run.

I gave in and bought an ipod shuffle and had done with it.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The m4P format reduces the quality to the smallest it can, which is compressed even more when you burn them."

Exactly what sort of software are you using that compresses a file to make it into a WAV?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without commenting on any other portion of the discussion, I will offer a few factual clarifications for you guys:

The M4P file extension denotes the MPEG-4 audio codec (Advanced Audio Coding (AAC)) with some form of copy protection. That's the only difference from normal AAC. And regular AAC gives you better sound quality over MP3 at the same bitrate, in a smaller file size.

The loss of file quality does not come from burning any lossy format to CD, because CDs' music files are stored in the lossless AIFF format. The loss of quality comes instead from re-ripping a CD that was originally created from lossy files into another lossy format.

As for file incompatibility, I'd also point out that each DRM system is mutually exclusive. Which sucks, I know, but it's a result of the music industry desperately clinging on to their outdated product model. Lucky us!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps