Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Congressional crackitude (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Congressional crackitude
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Executor? [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These modern aircraft carriers are notoriously difficult places to find your way around. So even if they went for it, all it would take would be for a couple of Senators to find themselves "lost in the Wilderness" and there'd be a name change, sharpish.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
USS George H. W. Bush
The USS Bush? For some reason I'm reminded of the incident when George V vetoed Churchill's suggestion that one of the Queen Elizabeth class dreadnoughts be named after William Pitt on the grounds that the ship would be given a scatalogical nickname...

Which is also relevant because our new carriers (assuming they ever get built) are going to be the second Queen Elizabeth class. Although we're only getting two of them. And they're only going to displace approx. 60,000 tons.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought CV-16 was originally to be named "Cabot" but the name was changed to Lex after she went down at the Battle of the Coral Sea.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CV-16 was going to be Cabot but was unofficially renamed pretty much as soon as CV-2 went down. Unofficially renamed because CV-2 hadn't yet been stricken from the list. Only until that happened did CV-16 really get the name officially at launch.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
quote:
USS George H. W. Bush
For some reason I'm reminded of the incident when George V vetoed Churchill's suggestion that one of the Queen Elizabeth class dreadnoughts be named after William Pitt on the grounds that the ship would be given a scatalogical nickname...
Yeah, but he had a HUGE amount of awesomeness when it came to RMS Queen Mary.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
[QUOTE]For some reason I'm reminded of the incident when George V vetoed Churchill's suggestion that one of the Queen Elizabeth class dreadnoughts be named after William Pitt on the grounds that the ship would be given a scatalogical nickname...

Maybe it's because it's late & I'm tired, or maybe I'm just dense, but I'm just not getting this. [Confused]
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The shitty pitt?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if any of you know already, but CVN-78 will indeed be named USS Gerald R. Ford. While the US Navy has yet to make the formal announcement, it did confirm the comment made by Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. So we will now have the Ford class of carriers.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since Ford's death over Christmas, this idea is probably a lot more popular. Personally, I'm not in favor of naming a ship after a person who's still living, but things have recently changed in this case.
Shik
Member # 343

Still don't care. He's not worth it. Second ship, sure. Third, fourth, fifth...fine. But not the class. Ugh.

So much for my hopes of Thomas Jefferson.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jefferson was a total asshole though.
A great man in many deeds, but a total prick to everyone that stood in his way to fame and power in later years.
America's first real "dirty politician"- far worse than anything we'd tolerate today.

I prefer not naming ships after people- better to stick with ideals and notions of the human spirit...with the occasional mythological creature thrown in for good measure.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Jefferson was a total asshole though.

Thomas or George?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Davis, perhaps.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George Jefferson was not an asshole, besides, it'd be funny to see the sailors do that weird side-to-side strut of his.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps