Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » This better not be my 15 minutes of fame...

Author Topic: This better not be my 15 minutes of fame...
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imagine my surprise when I followed a link from Digg this morning to a "starship size comparison chart" and realized that it was my own chart! (linky) It's currently #1 in the top ten most popular links for today.

I suppose I should be grateful that whoever submitted it had it hosted elsewhere, 'cause otherwise, I can GUARANTEE that my site would've ground to a halt from the swarm of visitors. One of the commenters provided a link to the main page for those charts, though. And reading the comments is hilarious... people ridiculing it because it doesn't include stuff like [insert their favorite vehicle here]. Some of the stuff was excluded because it'd've been too frickin' tiny to see, or because it wasn't even out when the chart was made!

This just proves my opinion that most people are morons.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw that post earlier and immediately remembered the chart from having seen it every once in a while over the years. I just try not to read comments on dig any more; when I do, it's default to +5 so it's not *too* bad. :S

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I notice that all the hits that come back from Googling my name are me-related. And all but one of those is Trek-related. Contrbutions to the old rec.arts.startrek.tech and Bernd's ASDB, mainly. Moke of that what you will. *heh*

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice chart.

Just a few things - Starbase 375 - going by the size of the Defiant etc. I reckon is slightly smaller. The Jemmie Bug took up most of that shuttle bay when they had it.

I'm guessing that is the Movie version of Spacedock and not the larger TNG version?

OK saw the chart with the even bigger ships... The Independence Day ship - how big would the MOTHER ship be!?!

And some other ships:

What about the Stargate vessels??

The Earth Cruisers
The Hatak Mother ships
The Replicator ship
The Asgard ships
The Ori Ships
Atlantis?

How big was the Asteroid ship from TOS's "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"?

The Dyson Sphere would be the largest structure wouldn't it?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK I found a page with REALLY big ships:

http://www.merzo.net/

Has the ID4 mother ship + more.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, most of the (obvious) ships that are missing from the chart were left out simply because there are no accurate and usable side views of the damn things!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I love is the comment from that page where someone asks "where's the Tardis", as if you'd be able to see a box that's approximately 7foot by 3foot by 3foot on a chart with a 17km vessel on it. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
PDeR | Aegyptus Antica | PDeR Genealogy | My LJ

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

LOL!

Has the Tardis got a defined inner size? I remember once in the 5th Doctor era I believe that they went wandering and they ended up wandering through some sort of factory type setting! [Smile]

--------------------

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh cool, I found the Martian tripod from the War of the Worlds book on that site. I haven't seen any WotW stuff in years.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Stargate as a whole probably didn't fit the author's quality threshold."

GASP

I can only say that I'm disgusted!!

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.