Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Civ4 Video Memory Error

Author Topic: Civ4 Video Memory Error
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I'm frustrated and can't find it. I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I bought Civilization IV today and installed it on my computer. The opening video was very choppy. At first, I received a message about the computer settings not matching and that the settings for the game were changed. I was able to play the game just fine.

Afterword, I started looking to see if I could fix the video issues. I'd love to see this game play with the rich graphics it provides.

I tried to adjust my video settings with no success. At first, the video remained choppy. Now, the game crashes and I'm unable to play it.

I get this error:
Failed to allocate video memory
File:\source\main\civilization4\SDKs\gamebryo2\cor elibs\Nidy9rendered\Nidy9rendered textureddata.cpp, Line170

How do I fix this so the game will run on my system? I do not want to go purchase a video card simply to play this game.

I am running:

Windows XP with Service Pack 2
Pentium 4 2.40 GHz
512 MB RAM

1024x768 screen resolution
Highest 32 bit color

It appears I'm running a Legacy video card. The info says Legacy Video Capture Device. From what I saw online, Legacy is no longer producing updated drivers.

I've tried reading the tech fix posts at Apolyton and Civilization Fanatics, but I'm not making sense of them.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got Civ IV, and you need a pretty good graphics card. I'm using an ATI Radeon 9550 and it works well for the most part. But if you play the game too long it starts to slow down somewhat. Although that seems to happen on all machines.

I think Legacy Video Capture Device means you're using an integrated graphics card. Those suck.

Your best bet would be to run down to the local computer hardware store and grab yourself a new graphics card.

I've gotten the same error several times myself, I think the latest game patch fixes it though.

If you get it fixed let me know, maybe we can start up a game.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this context, "legacy" just means "old". You probably ought to find out what kind of video card you actually have, and look for updated drivers. Go to the Control Panel, open "System", click the "Hardware" tab, click the "Device Manager" button, then click the + sign beside "Display adapters".
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been playing Civ IV since Christmas, and the graphics run smoothly save for three problem points, two of which are actually quite delightful:

-"Wonders completed" videos are choppy. [Frown]
-On the map squares, all animals are represented by just their shadows and sounds. Phantom pigs! [Cool]
-Foreign heads of state, well, aren't. Instead of a head, I only get the eyeballs, teeth, and beards (that is, the items used for customizing the skins). [Big Grin]

Apart from that, it's tres cool. I love the sound of dying infantry in the morning, as my gunships mow them down like so much grass... Or the nerdgastic noises made by the Great Scientists at the Eureka moment. And whoever dug up that Miserere managed to find a faultless example for once: the obligato soprano makes me dizzy every time I hear it. Great music choices overall.

Timo Saloniemi

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks.

I'm really not wanting to shell out money for a graphics card.

I have an Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller.

I did install the patch first thing, before I even started playing.

Ah well...

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
I have an Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller.

That's called an "integrated graphics processor." Also known as "teh suck" with respect to PC games. And the Civilization IV system requirements explicitly list a video card (aka "graphics card") as one of the requirements. Graphics cards are MUCH better than graphics processors. Ergo, your computer does not meet the minimum requirements for playing the game, and that's why the experience sucks.

(This isn't intended as criticism, though; I'm playing Civ4 on my 12-inch PowerBook G4, which also fails the requirements, even though it's just a year and a half old!)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Da_bang80
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Laughs*

You can get a decent video card for around $100. It won't be flashy or spiffy, more like the minivan of graphics cards. You could spend maybe $200-$250 and get a high end card that will run Civ IV and a bunch of other games easily. Plus they'll be more stable and reliable. You just have to decide on ATI or Nvidia. But it's really a matter of personal preference at this point, since they are so closely competitive.

--------------------
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering that HerbShrump has a 845-era motherboard, its likely that the computer has only an AGP slot. There are a lot of places that still sell some AGP video cards, and some you can get for cheap. The 9550 that Dabang has costs around $50 CDN here, meaning that you can find one for around $40 there. There are some places in which you could get a Radeon 9800 Pro for around $100, that's about as best as you can get for a decent video card.

It's also possible (depending on the computer manufacturer) that her computer does not have an AGP slot at all meaning that she needs a PCI video card to run (not PCI express, that's different). Regular PCI video cards are rare, so if you don't have an AGP on your computer, you may want to simply ditch the whole machine and get new hardware, it simply is not worth upgrading that computer with a new video card.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Da_bang80
Member # 528

Yeah, My card is pretty old. But it actually still runs really well. It runs Halo PC (A real system hog for an older game) very well, and I can run Oblivion on medium/low settings with a decent framerate.

If her motherboard supports regular PCI, she might be able to find a card online at a site such as newegg.com. Or E-bay.

If you want to play games on a PC in today's world, you HAVE to have a half decent video card. Especially for the recent games such as AOE III, CIV IV, etc. Integrated "Crapics" chips just won't cut it. And getting a decent video card is a pretty good investement if you decide to get a new computer you can just swap it into the new machine.

I get the feeling that not many of the forum goers here are into gaming all that much.

--------------------

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

Dang, we JUST bought this computer. I thought we were doing good buying something that was running XP.

That sucks!

Thanks for your replies...

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You just BOUGHT IT? From which store? The Trash can across the street?

Sorry.

But really, the 845 series chipset is old news. About 4 years old, depending on the generation.

Try to take a look at your motherboard. Does it have an AGP slot? What brand is the computer anyway (betting on some two-bit private computer store).

DaBang: Regular PCI video cards are very difficult to find. Almost every computer store nowadays does not carry them. If we don't carry them in Canada, then I'm betting stores on the other side of the border don't have them either.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Da_bang80
Member # 528

True, I haven't seen a PCI card in the stores for a long time. But they're not impossible to find if you look hard enough. You might find one on ebay, or at a computer recycling centre. At the volunteer centre for our local "Computers for schools" program you can find all sorts of neat old crap. I found an ATI Rage Pro 128 a couple months ago. It fit nicely into my old 333 Mhz pentium.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps